London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
10 messages
07/05/2013 at 13:00

I'm planning on getting a few plants to green up my corner of an office. Instead of wanting to go for the jungle-esque exotica (palms,etc) of the usual office/indoor plants  from general diy chainstores, are there any native/traditional British plants that could be up for the job?

I'm not after anything fancy; if it's green, office-survivable and relatively easy to find, that'll do.

Fyi, it's usual open plan-esue office conditions. Shady to average light, more when office lights on. There's a funny mix air conditioning and school style radiator heating, so fairly dry, prone to fluctuating temperatures but on average a more warmer environment than cold.

07/05/2013 at 13:57

That would be torture for native plants. That's why the usual office type plants are chosen, they put up with it. 

07/05/2013 at 17:18

Too right.  Native plants are meant for temperate conditions with wind and rain and sunshine, not dry, heated, processed air with chemicals from office furniture and technology.   Also, lamp light does not equate to sunlight.

On the other hand, the usual office and house plants are often known for their ability to deal with such conditions especially if given a regular misting spray and can be used to absorb and reduce harmful chemicals in office atmospheres.  That's  why they're planted in offices.

Dieffenbachia, dracaena and spathyphyllum are particularly good at air cleaning.

14/05/2013 at 13:08

I accept I seemed to restrictive with native/British style plants criteria. I wasn't expecting a perfect outdoors look inside, but I thought it was worth a shot asking for any plants that might be hardy enough.  

To expand this, any hardier medditeranean/general european plants? At this stage, I'm stubborn to accepting that the only plants that could cope will be the h--eb--e standards.

Thank you for the info of the air cleaning, but that's not really an issue I'm fussed about.

14/05/2013 at 14:44

Its not a question of Hardiness.

Plants that need it warm, frost free would maybe survive.

But to be happy they need sunshine/good light.

While plants that are happy in shade/low light  would be miserable in a dry warm office.

I agree with the comments posted above

14/05/2013 at 15:26

Is there an equivalent of the RSPCA for plants?

14/05/2013 at 16:15

nut

14/05/2013 at 16:18

how about one of these Myles?

relatively problem-free 

http://www.ambius.co.uk/office-plants/artificial-plants/

14/05/2013 at 17:07

As we have said, British and northern European plants have evolved to cope with fresh air, plenty of rain in the main and gentle sun.  Mediterranean plants in general have evolved to cope with poor soil, bright sunlight and occasional downpours and strong winds.

House and office plants come from warmer climes that do not have frosts, are generally used to dappled or full shade provided by taller, stronger specimens, and can cope with the atmosphere in an office.  If you want something out of the ordnary, you'll have to pay for it from the wide range of suitable, foreign origin plants available but please, don't subject healthy, outdoor loving native plants to the stress and trauma of life in an artificially lit, dry, dusty office full of static and invisible chemicals oozed by office furniture, carpets and equipment. 

14/05/2013 at 18:27

I can only think of one native plant that tolerates the average office climate, and that is good old Hedera helix, Ivy in other words. Not exactly exciting but given enough light and the odd mist it should survive.

email image
10 messages