Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Need an I.D on this please

Hello everyone,

It looks like summer has finally arrived - yay!

These guys doing rather well in my garden this year, finally. Not too sure what they are though. I'm thinking some sort of a Geranium? Can anyone I.D. for me please?

If they are Geranium, can I cut them back when they've finished flowering to get another show of flowers this year?

Thank you, Heather

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

hardy geranium of some sort

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes, hardy geranium and yes, cut them back when the first flush of flowers is over, feed and water and stand well back image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Cool! Thanks both, appreciate it. Enjoy the weather! image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Have a look at images of G. Johnson's Blue and see if it matches

Devon.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I find hardy geraniums don't need feeding.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    Logan wrote (see)
    I find hardy geraniums don't need feeding.

I suppose the big ash trees around our garden suck all the nutrients out of the soil here. I find most things here benefit from some FB&B being watered in after cutting back - even the toughies image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Hardy geraniums, in all sorts of colours and sizes, are just about taking over in my garden - and very welcome they are too.  Easy to rejuvenate with a cut back, the leaves are pretty, they smother just about all weeds - and good things too if you don't keep an eye on them.  They also come in such a variety of sizes, I have a magenta one sharing a frame with a  pale clematis and both are currently around 4 foot high, with a little one, about 6 inches high, a paler magenta, at the base - gorgeous.