London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
5 messages
16/02/2013 at 18:04

Just got back inside after the first decent day for gardening I've had this year.  It was a good job as I had 3 young cherries and an apple tree as well as 3 roses (all bare root) delivered in the last couple of days and they need to be planted ASAP of course.  It took me longer to decide where to put them than it did to actually plant them though!  Also got started on some clematis pruning and, after looking around, there's a lot more of that needed in the days ahead..  Signs of life everywhere - growth sure does speed up when the weather picks up even slightly at this time of the year!

16/02/2013 at 18:10

It's been a good day here too - I did a bit of general tidying and gave the compost heap a bit of a stir - my rhubarb is looking promising under it's forcing pot and I've got clematis budding happily - little iris and primulas are springing up everywhere and I've even got some little purple violets out 

More tidying to be done tomorrow, we were going out for a Dim Sum lunch (belated birthday treat) but we've decided to have a Dim Sum tea instead so I can get a bit more sorted in the garden.

Oh, and I saw a bluetit checking out the new nestbox we put in the garden just over a week ago 

Spring's definitely on it's way!!!

16/02/2013 at 18:40

I was thrilled that one of the 'Dalek' bins was cooked and could empty it out on to the veg bed. Then cleaning the greenhouse and washing of pots. Sounds tedious but I really enjoy it. A blackbird serenaded me very loudly; it doesn't get any better than that

16/02/2013 at 18:47

I've got a bin full of compost ready to use and some raspberry canes to plant tomorrow.  Shall I be brave and take the cloche off the little overwintered lettuces or is that just asking for trubble? 

16/02/2013 at 19:01

Had to pull up the Autumn planted Broad Beans today; first time ever that they have not survived the winter and it's only in the last week or so that they have succumbed to frost. The Cavolo Nero is looking good though, will start cutting leaves from that tomorrow.

email image
5 messages