London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
4 messages
22/05/2013 at 12:21

Hi All,

Having finally managed to get somewhere with the rear garden, the wife and myself have decided to do something with the front. At the moment it is just a moss covered semi grassed slope. It is North facing and as such is in shade for most of the day.

I have considered planting it up with a variety of ferns, hostas and mahonia giving it an exotic style look combined with a shrubbery. Would these plants be ok in this sort of position and has anybody got any other suggestions to add a bit of colour to my green selection.

Thanks in advance

22/05/2013 at 12:45

Agree that ferns, Hostas & Mahonia will all do well.

Dont forget though that the very end of the garden, unless shaded by the house, will actually be S facing & so should get more light. That can influence the choice & success of some plants. With that aspect the best colour will usually be in the spring when any overhead tree canopy is less.

Heucheras, hardy geraniums- lots to choose, spring bulbs, tellima, epimediums, lamiums, vincas- the last 3 all excellent ground cover. Bergenias, ajugas, japanese anemones.

If soil acid/neutral then for shrubs- azaleas- lots of sizes & colours available. Skimmias, forsythia, acuba, chaenomeles- ok may not flower as well as if in sunnier spot. Ribes too. Hydrangeas- the lacecap types good if some soil moisture. I've even got a couple of Weigelias in N & NW facing borders. They both get some extra light from the side aspects & do well.

Hope that gives you some ideas. J.

22/05/2013 at 13:15

Brunnera, might add some nice colour, especially a variagated form like "jack frost". The leaves are nice and bright, and the pretty little forget me not style flowers are nice.

23/05/2013 at 06:26

Thanks for the replies, will be looking into all of your suggestions to add some colour. Definately thinking about planting some Hydrangeas in after your comment jo4eyes. I will let you know how it goes

email image
4 messages