London (change)
Thu 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
10/05/2013 at 15:44

Thanks very much in regards to help and guidance, and also wishing us well. Will do just that fairly girl in regards to weaning them in to their new environment, before planting them in their fixed setting. Am from Falkirk myself originally but am now based down in Oxfordshire where the work is to be carried out. when planting them in their final location, I think I am going to protect each specimen individually with a tree guard and stake. Then protect the whole area with some fencing to hopefully avoid any deer damage, how does this sound? Will let you both know how get on as the client won't mind at all, and hopefully the specimens will thrive with the right amount of aftercare. Although if we have another day like yesterday wind wise, they may end up in the farmers field next door

10/05/2013 at 16:23

Yes, any newly planted young trees around here at present would need an anchor to keep them in place!!  If each has a well placed, low stake, and a cleared of grass area to grow in they should do fine - do deer eat oaks?  I know there are some trees they don't, but as that is a problem we don't have here I know little about it.  Tree guards are a good idea, or if the deer don't get them the rabbits might - all protection you can give - though nature does her job prettyd well anyway, she probably appreciates a helping hand now and again.  Good luck. 

10/05/2013 at 19:17

Not sure if deer eat them but I wouldn't take any chances-not after spending hundreds of pounds on 'supposedly' rabbit proof plants only to see them become bunny supper..

Lewis - any help you can give 'em will be worthwhile!

As Bookertoo says-the low stake is best as it allows the top to flex and bend with the wind and thereby strengthens it, while keeping the bottom well anchored.

Good luck with it 

10/05/2013 at 21:13

Thanks again for the help and guidance, will let you both know how things go as the client is keen to get them on their way. In regards to a low stake, I understand exactly what you are saying, should this be a specific size to the specimen, say half or a third of the size out of the ground possibly to encourage the healthy tapour we are after.

11/05/2013 at 07:10

I have seen this sort of thing used very successfully http://www.acorn-planting-products.com/pages/product-range/shelterguard-tree-shelters/tree-shelters---tubes.php 

also some good guidance re stakes etc here http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/eng-treecare-guide.pdf/$file/eng-treecare-guide.pdf

Good luck - sounds a lovely project 

11/05/2013 at 07:50

That's a good site for the tree guards Dove.

I should have said that Lewis-of course if you have the taller guards on your saplings the stake can't go on at an angle!

email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages