London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
21 to 40 of 429 messages
07/04/2013 at 19:34

Oh, great idea 

I will go with...

Aconite:A deadly poison which can be absorbed through the skin causing tingling, numbness, nausea and a variety of very unpleasant symptoms leading to death if an antidote is not supplied. So...wear gloves when handling these stunning plants 

Also...

Angelica: Angelica root can be made into an infusion and used to treat coughs, colds, sore throats, hoarseness and bronchitis. It will also relieve flatulence and colic and sooth an upset tummy but if you are diabetic...stay well clear of it.

07/04/2013 at 20:21

..those Aubergines that Lilylouise posted above look like my top half...  well, different colour.. very nice too, I wonder if they're difficult to grow...

I love Aconitum's too, and back in the day we never knew about the poison.. used to handle them without gloves.. still here... best to be safe though...

Alliums were mentioned earlier, here is Allium oreophyllum, quite dainty little things, like open ground...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21118.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

07/04/2013 at 20:24

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21119.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

My offering is Acanthus mollis. In one of its more floriferous years

Lyn
07/04/2013 at 20:24
Alyssum
07/04/2013 at 20:27

Nut...is that bears breaches?

07/04/2013 at 20:33

Astrantia

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Cheerypeabrain/2011/22ndMay2011010.jpg

07/04/2013 at 20:35

^pretty.. never grown those, maybe I get some...

07/04/2013 at 20:35

Argh Cherrypeabrain... Its such a stunning plant and for love nor money can I get the damn thing to germinate 

Its stunning. I am very jealous lol 

07/04/2013 at 20:36

It is Sam. The one with the soft leaves and no prickles.

Nice astrantia cheery. Love that pink.

07/04/2013 at 20:43

Am I right in saying that they do really well in the shade? I have a bed in front of my workshop that gets very little sun. Would it survive there do you think?

07/04/2013 at 20:47

Well those ones I grew from seed (Roma)....when they set seed this year I'll collect them and send them straight away to anyone who wants them. They're best sown fresh into something like JI No 1 with grit on top in a little pot and dumped into a cold frame and forgotten about for about 6 months!  

here's another one...I think it's called 'snowball' not managed to grow any of these from collected seed (yet)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i179/Cheerypeabrain/2012/016-3.jpg

07/04/2013 at 20:49

mmm.... I still prefer those pink ones, could you tell me please what months they flower and for roughly how long a season...? I take it they're hardy...?

07/04/2013 at 20:49

Oh, thats a trick I need to try then Cherry. Thanks. I went and bought one a couple of weeks ago. I think it was Roma 

They are just so pretty. Do you have many different types then?

07/04/2013 at 20:50

Hi Sam...yes...mine are in a shady bed in amongst ferns...altho they do well in semi-shade too.

07/04/2013 at 20:58

great Cherry  Thats another for the shady bed then 

Slowly getting there. They are stunning

07/04/2013 at 21:00

Hello Salino   they're supposed to be very hardy, they are herbaceous perennials and clump forming...usually start flowering in late spring/early summer and I seem to always have some flowers until autumn..often I cut them right back because they start getting out of control and they bounce right back with lots of flowers. They will self seed too....oh and I just remembered...I had one in a sunny border and it was fine. I only moved it to the shady bed (it does get some sun) because I wanted them growing up through the ferns.

I just have the two...I have been getting unsightly blotchy patches on some of the leaves...but I just cut them off and bin them.

07/04/2013 at 21:02
Flower bird wrote (see)
Annual meadow sounds brill Marion, can I say anenomes ( Japanese) I love them.

I love japanes anemones too.

and Amelanchier

And alliums and achilleas and astilbes 

07/04/2013 at 21:09
Cheerypeabrain wrote (see)

Hello Salino   they're supposed to be very hardy, they are herbaceous perennials and clump forming...usually start flowering in late spring/early summer and I seem to always have some flowers until autumn..often I cut them right back because they start getting out of control and they bounce right back with lots of flowers. They will self seed too....oh and I just remembered...I had one in a sunny border and it was fine. I only moved it to the shady bed (it does get some sun) because I wanted them growing up through the ferns.

I just have the two...I have been getting unsightly blotchy patches on some of the leaves...but I just cut them off and bin them.

..hello cheery [I'm sure you're not a pea brain

thank you for the information.  I have just done a little quick research and find that the one I may get is called Astrantia Maxima, which is pink, perhaps this is the one in your photo... I am a little concerned that I read it spreads by underground runners, do you find it so? as I don't want anything like Euphorbia 'fireglow' which got on my nerves spreading all over the shop...

07/04/2013 at 21:14

I'm not an expert...I just know that my ones (Astrantia roma and ?snowball) seem to keep to their clumps. I have to take out the seedlings tho else they would take over...it isn't a problem as I only have two - three plants. Perhaps the one you are looking at is a bit more rhobust than the hybrids? I know nothing....

07/04/2013 at 21:16

If you want to keep the pure 'Roma' etc you have to weed the seedlings out but you get some nice ones when the colours intermingle.

21 to 40 of 429 messages