London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 16°C
17 messages
05/10/2013 at 16:33

I have a number of pots of oriental lilies.  The flowering stems have all turned brown.  What do I need to do for overwintering? Should I remove the flower stems, should I remove the bulbs from the pots...??

05/10/2013 at 17:03

Your profile says your in the Gloucester area. I would let them die back completely (until the stem comes away without hardly any pulling)

They should be fine left in the pots in Winter in a sheltered area.

05/10/2013 at 18:21

I live in yorkshire and leave mine out in pots and in the garden and they come back

06/10/2013 at 14:24

Hello,

I'm new to the forum so if my question is on the wrong thread - Sorry.

As a rank amateur I need to ask what I need to know to grow Salvia from seed.

I have one of those miniature plastic covered greenhouses which works very well, and I guess this is the best place for the seeds to go through the winter?

Thanks

06/10/2013 at 14:28

Hi Artful Codger,

I don't mind you asking the question here but you'll probably get a better response if you start a new thread for your specific question.

08/10/2013 at 13:28

Last bit of advicer I got about overwintering mine was wait for it to die back and leave it sheltered against a wall or something. First winter for mine so hopefully will go well, they were fantastic this year! 

08/10/2013 at 15:28

I've always left mine in a sheltered spot to die right back as Mattbeer says.  In spring, a  little refreshing of the top 2 inches of compost and a feed or two and they'll be lovely.

09/10/2013 at 19:56

I also try to leave mine in a sheltered spot outside, still in their pots over the winter every year and have done since I started growing them many years ago.

Most of them make it through to the following year unless we get an awful lot of rain. I would advise raising the pots off the ground if you're not leaving them on soil to help them drain.

26/01/2014 at 19:57

I'm still waiting for the old flower stems to come away!  Will it do any harm to leave them right through winter?

Also, one pot has masses of what look like small red bulbs on the surface.  Are these lily bulblets and if so how should it treat them?

26/01/2014 at 20:06

Try giving them a pull downwards but not too hard, they should come away. Not too sure about the mini bulbs but I have heard that Lillies push these to the surface, maybe try potting them up?

I guess they would take a few years to mature though

26/01/2014 at 20:28

Probably the dangers for overwintering lilies in pots and containers are. Bulbs rotting due to lack of drainage. Just raise the pots off the ground.  Also slugs that have managed to find their way into the soil.  A lily bulb might prove to be a fine winter larder.

Concerning the dying stalk.  For ease of storing.  Cut the stem down by half.  Althoght the decaying remains might not be attractive.  Actually it won't cause any harm to leave it attached.  Gradually it will rot away.  To twist or to pull.  The general advice is to gently twist it, and it will come away.

As the compost tends to sink over the season.  To top it up is recommended.  To remove and store.  No need to.  The bulb will be much safer if it remaines buried.

Feeding.   OOOps!  Actually not recommended.  I recently posted a tip about, 'plumping up'  dried out bulbs.  It is never a wise practice to feed a sick plant, ide is to nurcher the plant, then when improvement is visible, carefully feed.  Likewise with bulbs.  In the dormant stage, the feed will not be correctly absorbed.  In some instances, a degree of toxicty migh develop.  Wait until new growth appears and is showing signs of strenthening.

Hope this helps.

26/01/2014 at 21:03

The stems are hanging on tight!  If I pull on them it actually starts to lift the compost.

26/01/2014 at 21:19

With the mild winter KT it may even be the new shoots beginning to appear. They can be quite reddish. A pic would help identify them though if you can manage it. It won't do any harm leaving the stalks on.  If you're worried about drainage with all the heavy rain, try moving them nearer a house/shed/garage wall to keep the worst of it off, or giving them shelter from other plants if that's not possible. Getting the pots clear of the ground is good advice. All these things will help prevent saturation.  

26/01/2014 at 21:27

Don't worry about the dead stems KT they will do no harm. Cut them back with the secateurs if you want.

Surprised  no one had suggested back in Autumn popping them in the ground to   naturalise. 

Baby bulbs are a bonus. When transplanting lilies I am always happy to pop them in around the parent bulbs to bulk up and give future flowers a year to two hence!

08/03/2014 at 22:36

Hi, I lifted some lilies', last autumn as they had been pots for 3 yrs. They overwintered quite well. Stored in cool dry, place in house,  Some have rotted significantly. The others were very soft but not rotted when recently planted. Will they survive. Thanks.

09/03/2014 at 07:46

Hard to tell petunia blue; I'm afraid you'll just have to wait and see if they come up - let us know how it turns out 

09/03/2014 at 11:18

thanks - will let you know

email image
17 messages