London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
16/11/2012 at 09:20

The Butterburr (Petsites) I know grows on river banks and the leaves get huge. That is what had me fooled.

25/11/2012 at 11:55
I think the first one is winter heliotrope. From your photo it looks the same as a plant I am still fighting with in my garden.
Only the male plant in the UK, so it only spreads in clumps, like a carpet of hell. Deep, thick beige roots, that web through the ground.
You can kill it with several doses of a Glyphosate weedkiller. Then you need to keep cutting it hard to the ground any time it pops up again to suffocate it, or apply weedkiller again. Digging it up is smart if you are irradiating a large area, but any tiny fragment will just grow again.
Whatever the name, if it is the same plant I have been dealing with, good luck.
25/11/2012 at 12:28

Thanks Nigel4ever, I think you have it. I have resorted to Glyphosate weedkiller where it was growing on its own, but where it is appearing in amongst other ground cover, it is a bit more trcky. Spot weedkiller it is.

25/11/2012 at 12:40

Butterbur is Petasites hybridus, winter heliotrope is Petasites fragrans, and there's  Petasites alba as well, that's probably the one I've got it's white, very pretty and I may live to regret it.

25/11/2012 at 13:11
Glad I could help! Just dont accidently kill your lawn of other plants with the weedkiller! I use 'Tumbleweed'.
I'm not so good at my latin names yet nutcutlet, thanks for the info.
25/11/2012 at 13:22

This lot are thugs whatever language you use.

25/11/2012 at 14:24

I thnk the first one is celandine. If you dig it up you will find small nodules thta break off to make more plants. The leaves are just beginnig to appear now in my garden. I have tried mulching, digging, poisoning!, absolutely no joy to get rid of it. Alan T says almost impossible to remove, Did an article probably in GW about worst weeds to get rid of. Article may ahve been last year not this.

http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/images/lesser-celandine-recipe-step1.jpg

Celandine leaves
25/11/2012 at 14:33

I don't think it's shiny enough or the right leaf shape/ manner of growth for celandine.

Agree about the invasiveness though

25/11/2012 at 15:43

The first one looks like 'Jack in The Hedge' (garlic mustard) and the description matches. I have come up all over my garden has quite deep roots so be sure to dig deep and get it out before it seeds everywhere.

25/11/2012 at 15:54

On an invasiveness scale of 1-10. Petasites and celandine are 10. Jack in the hedge possibly barely 1. It's a biennial, if you pull it up it's gone, the other 2 just ignore all your efforts

25/11/2012 at 16:20

That said Alliaria petiolata  may regenerate from adventitious buds on the roots. These may sit doormant in the soil for up to 18 months until disturbed and thus regenerating. Often classed as  Monocarpic perennials rather than biennials because the foliage can remain for more than two years before they flower. All this in mind I think an invasiveness of barely 1 is a little off the mark.

25/11/2012 at 17:06

As the proud owner of all these plus enchanter's nightshade I know which one I'd rather tackle. But; different problems in different gardens

25/11/2012 at 17:27

Yes I agree definately not up there with some of the REAL problem weeds. Tastes good too and I for one love to have a good range of edible plants in the garden, this is one however that in my experience should be contained

25/11/2012 at 18:23

I forgot to mention the creeping thistle. But no ground elder

The bit you'll like is, I introduced both the enchanter's nightshade and the petasites. The nightshade when I was too inexperienced to know any better. The petasites a couple of years ago when I did know better but didn't listen to my own advice.

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages