London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
5 messages
01/05/2013 at 00:07

hi...any suggestions on what plant do you think will compliment purple and white heather?

thanks....jim..

01/05/2013 at 08:17

Grasses like stipa Tennuissima and elymus magellanicus (very blue evergreen foliage) would look good providing contrast both in colour and shape

Depending on your space, conifers like Taxus standishii .......erect, quite narrow with occasional red berries........

Pinks compliment heathers very well too.  Evergreen blue foliage with flowers of white, purple or red like similar comditions to heathers

Are your heathers winter or summer flowering?  If the latter you likely have acid soil.  If so consider picea pungens globosa......this is a beautiful very blue compact and stunning conifer

01/05/2013 at 10:00

...do you like conifers jimpyp..? there are prostrate varieties that I think look nice with heathers.   Mine are growing with Juniperus horizontalis 'Blue Chip'...  see if something like that might suit.. as it's name implies, it's blue...

...oooh... or that lovely picea Verdun's mentioned there.. just saw that..

02/05/2013 at 00:02

thank you ..you need to excuse my ignorance here..im in the process of starting a small rockery sitting on top of a base of grey limstone aggregate. i havn`t any plants in place just now but i really like the heathers, so im using these as a start. i also like the idea of conifers but i would like to keep the height of them down to a minimum, are dwarf conifers available? i also like alpine type plants. i spent my lunch break today wandering around a garden center, a first for me. i wanted to buy everything.....the area is also part shaded ,so im looking for something i can pop in the middle of the rocks with the heathers surrounding it. i thank you for taking an intrest and helping me out,hopefully i will get better with my gardening terminoligy over the coming months....forgot to mention i have a wee bairn running about my garden,eating and touching everything in sight

so plants with sharp edges and non edible fruits are out

02/05/2013 at 00:19

Jimpyp

You mention limestone so it means you cannot grow certain acid loving plants

About the hearhers You need to choose Eric's carnea types....the winter floweriing ones.  These will grow in limestone comditions. This is important.  There are lovely foliage coloured heathers....yellow foliage, dark orange as well as green....and will flower during the later winter and early spring. You must not try to grow the summer floweriing kinds ...they need acid soil

email image
5 messages