London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 41 messages
21/02/2014 at 14:30

I'm going bonkers here.  I recently stumbled upon a plant listing online, it was a plant that used to grow in my neighbour's garden and we never knew what it was.  Only a few days ago I came across it and thought I'd bookmarked it, but can't find it anywhere.  Have searched in vain.

The plant had very small green leaves and pinkish white flowers.  In summer it was almost literally swarming with bees, they absolutely loved it.  It was about 2.25m tall, could have been a shrub or a tree, can't quite remember whether or not it had a clear stem.  The page I found said that the plant was sometimes commonly known as a Bee plant/Bumble Bee plant, something like that.

If anyone can identify this plant for me, I'd be so grateful.  Could almost cry, it took me so long to find and can't quite believe I've lost it already.  We want to plant one in our new garden.

P.S.  When I say small leaves, I mean about 1cm long, maybe 0.5cm wide, possibly even smaller.  The flowers were around 1cm I think.

21/02/2014 at 15:15

Possibly one of the Cotoneasters, pariate. Bees love the flowers, and the flowers are followed by berries which the birds love. 

21/02/2014 at 15:25
21/02/2014 at 15:29

You haven't given us much to go on there really. Could be an Escallonia, could be so many things though. Google, shrub small pink flowers.

21/02/2014 at 18:28

This sounds like a Deutzia, we had one several years ago and it looks like your description. Plus, if you Google 'Bumble Bee bush' this plant is what comes up

21/02/2014 at 18:55

Escallonia!  That's the one!  Thank you so much  

I had tried Googling various things, can't remember if I used the combination of words you suggested, but probably not since I hadn't found what I was looking for.

Jim Macd wrote (see)

You haven't given us much to go on there really. Could be an Escallonia, could be so many things though. 

21/02/2014 at 18:59

it's not snobbery to use Botanical names: it cuts out so much confusion.

There are so many plants with multiple common names and not just country to country. There must be lots of plants where the common name in Devon, for example, may differ from the common name used in Yorkshire , or Aberdeen. 

I'd urge everyone to try to get to grip with them, ( until the powers that be decide to change them , tee hee. )

21/02/2014 at 19:24

I totally agree Hostafan

21/02/2014 at 19:35

I find the botanical names more useful as well Hostafan because quite often the common names will be used for more than one plant or cause confusion.

21/02/2014 at 20:02

whew, I thought I might have been accused of being snobby, or elitist. thanks nutcutlet and Mrs G for the comments.

The other thing is that botanical names can give many clues to plants you don't know, terms  like erecta, horizontalis, spikata etc are hugely helpful.

21/02/2014 at 20:12

I learn to read and write the botanical names of plants I have or want but I don't know how to pronounce them unless someone on a gardening show I'm watching says them. Does anyone know if there are rules? like ch being pronounces k in Heuchera, is that always the case? 

21/02/2014 at 21:09

I am the same Ashleigh!  I can't help with the Latin sadly as I have forgotten it from school. 

21/02/2014 at 22:22

I remember when I left school in 1979 and went to work in a local garden centre: I overheard a customer saying " cotoneaster" which, until that point I read as Cotton Easter.

We all have to start somewhere , but it's a journey worth undertaking. There are always friendly types along the way who are happy to help.

21/02/2014 at 22:23

Ashleigh2 , I pronounce ( as  a Scot ) the ch in Heuchera the same as I do for the ch in  " loch"

21/02/2014 at 22:24

I don't think school latin helps much. Plant names are based on a mixture of languages and none of it bears any relation to what I learnt at school. Not that I learnt much. I failed my first latin exam and went downhill from there

Even those that set themselves up as experts vary in their pronunciation of the names so I think we can do as we like

21/02/2014 at 22:27

The example I will not sing up to is Buddleja. Apparently someone looked at the first time it was written down and decided "it looked more like a J , than an I": sorry, it's still Buddleia for me. I'm all for historical accuracy, but surely that's just subjective to say " it LOOKS more like a J" ?

21/02/2014 at 22:27

CLEARLY I MEANT SIGN UP TO NOT SING.  sorry folks

21/02/2014 at 22:30

Buddleia is obviously right whatever the official line is now. 

21/02/2014 at 23:19

And people, including me, always pronounce Gypsophila as if it ended philia

21/02/2014 at 23:32

would it be just toooooo contentious if I said , I pronounce it Gypsohila, NOT gysophilia:

which sounds like some sort of deviancy, lol

1 to 20 of 41 messages