London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
8 messages
12/05/2014 at 20:11

I have a few clematis to plant over 2-3 arches and trying to look ahead to their pruning requirements. 

I believe these are all group2 and would therefore be ok together;

snow queen,

the president,

Then I have pruning group3 ;

blekitney aniol

And group 1;

montana tetra rose

These are in pots and not yet attached to the arches.

I have the following planted in the ground;

I have planted against a fence, but would consider moving;

bee's jubilee (group2)

And already on one arch;

Pamela Jackman (group 1)

this is with solanum glasniven (movable) same side as PJ and rose Generous Gardener on the opposite side.

There's an ivy knocking about as well but I doubt I'll use that.

Sorry for the long list!

Your ideas of combinations over a total of three arches would be most helpful.

Thanks.

14/05/2014 at 15:58

First of all, keep the separate clematis pruning groups well apart as it's impossible to untangle their stems for pruning purposes.

As roses and clematis are both such greedy plants I wouldn't plant them together in the same hole.   However, planting Snow Queen and the President together in one hole will give you a lovely display of contrasting blooms.  If you plant them deeply and with plenty of good quality compost and keep them well fed every spring to end of June they should do very well.  Dead heading Snow Queen will encourage her to produce a new flush of flowers later on in the summer.

Blekitny Anioll is very hardy and has lovely bars on the back of the petals so plant it where you can easily see both sides of the flower.   I have mine on one side of an arch from the garden through to my work area at the back of the house and veggie plot. as this encourages more flowering shoots.  I grow my The President as a group 3 most years as the top growth all gets frozen to death most winters.  It -'s scrambled through a crab apple and is sumptous.

14/05/2014 at 16:56

Thanks obelixx, never occurred to me you could use one hole for two plants. I was thinking one at one 'leg' and the another 'leg'. 

14/05/2014 at 21:53

Missing a bit of sentence for some reason.  Train the stems as horizontally as possible to get extra flowers on both roses and clematis.

I have Nelly Moser with Rahvarinne and Omoshiro with Westerlatte.  The contrasting flowers look great together. 

15/05/2014 at 08:35

The Omoshiro looks really unusual, very nice. Hope my combi's work as well.

Yes, thanks for the horizontal tip, I had forgotten about that.  

15/05/2014 at 09:02

hi mrs g yes i'm sure we'll see you in gsardens at some point, we go nearly every day! i also want to plant some clematis though maybe next year when they're a bit bigger.. so does everyone think planting a clematis in the same hole as a rose say a footish away is too close?

15/05/2014 at 09:05

A bit further would be better but if not possible, just make sure both planting holes get plenty of soil improvers dug in and around and that you water and feed well for their first growing season to get them established.

Give them both a good mulch every autumn and slow release rose and clematis feed accordingly every spring.

15/05/2014 at 15:40

thanks obelixx will try to enlarge bed if poss, just got to dig a couple of bricks out, it's part of brick and stone seating area but is behind bench so fine to be bit bigger

email image
8 messages