London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
4 messages
03/10/2012 at 21:28

It will soon be time to plant these lovely flowers again. They are so adaptable - last year I bought too many (not unusual), so planted the spares in a box, where they stayed until March. I was able to fill in many gaps in the garden and the flowers produced were equally as good as those planted in October,

Am I right in planting them deep? I'm sure I've read that advice somewhere. Any other helpful hints? Do people nip out the tops when planting? Feed them?

03/10/2012 at 21:40

I would say bare root plants are fine to buy and plant now- I agree they are so versatile, tough,beautiful and good for insects

Don't know about the depth, not heard of that. The bare rooted ones I bought last Autumn I just planted them as I would any other plant.

When raising them from seed, if you nip out the growing tips they then bush out so ultimetley you get more flowers. I would say that this theory would apply to bare rooted ones as well especially if you are putting them in now as they have more time to grow & develop before they flower. I haven't fed my biennial types but I have given the bowles mauve ones a bit of feed during the summer

03/10/2012 at 22:15

I've never heard of planting them deep, but they are in the brassica family and you plant brussels sprouts and broccoli deep to stop them rocking. They can also have cabbagy problems like club root and flea beetles.

Pinching out the tips will make them bushier. They like a poor soil so don't need feeding.

03/10/2012 at 23:06
You can plant,them too deep. They can rot. However, because they, usually have small roots compared to tops, they can blow,about in the winter. So, I plant slightly deeper and then, after plants have been in for week or so, mound dry soil around,them to help support them. Works for me on my sandy loam. Club root on acid soils but rare on alkaline ones.
email image
4 messages