London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
4 messages
28/01/2013 at 16:51
Though my pergola which is shaded partly by the house I would like to have some flowers, I would love lots of lavender in my dream world but I can barely dig the ground due to hoggin track when building . I am thinking of placing tubs or troughs through the middle tumbling around at the sides of grass and flag stone path to get the same effect but not sure what flowers would do well in there , something happy in shade. Either plants or happy to grow from seed.
28/01/2013 at 17:38

Hello Bunny. Did you want perennials or annuals or don't you mind? If it's in shade and you want annuals in tubs that narrows the choice, but "Busy-Lizzies" (Impatiens) are a classic for that situation. Bedding begonias, violas and pansies as well. I get mine as plug plants, but you can sow seeds. If perennials, then hostas look good in pots - there is one with a lovely purple flower, some have more flowers than others. Also heucheras for the different leaves, corydalis, liriope and several hardy geraniums will grow in shade. What about fuschias?

28/01/2013 at 18:06
I don't mind just some colour as I walk through. I do grow cosmos so as you've mentioned them I'm thinking those with busy lizzies , I like the idea of begonias too and love violas . I haven't had much luck with fuchsia in the past maybe time to try again.... I do have some hosta , the leaves would look good. Thanks , time for the garden planning books again , sometimes the brain just needs pointed in the rig direction so many plants out there...
29/01/2013 at 17:56

I grow big braassy begonias. Didn't used to like them but they are so blousy and cheerful and you can now get fragrant ones. they don't mind shade, you can keep the corms year on year which get bigger with each year. You can get mixed bags cheap n the usual suspect shops or the fragrant ones I have seen in Suttons

email image
4 messages