London (change)
Wed 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 65 messages
    29/11/2011 at 13:36

The weather has been so mixed this year, my plants are so confused! My spring-flowering cherry has produced new flowers and leaves, my foxgloves are still blooming, my cranesbill geraniums have had a sudden, second flush of flowers, and now my daffodils are showing signs of flowering.

Which plants are flowering out of season in your garden? Are you worried?

Kate Bradbury
gardenersworld.com web team

06/12/2011 at 20:17

I have Bidens and Chicory still in flower

08/12/2011 at 20:07

A 20 year old, all outside, Azalia decided it was too cold to wake up in May so has done it now!  Never ever seen that before

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/4721.jpg?width=324&height=350&mode=max

08/12/2011 at 21:36

In our walled garden Melianthus major is coming into flower,

08/12/2011 at 23:02
09/12/2011 at 05:59

We have Gazanias,fuschias and allysum in full bloom as well as masses of strawberries on our hanging baskets!

09/12/2011 at 06:57

We have Valerian and Lavender still in flower, plus new leaves coming on a deciduous Honeysuckle, and all our bulbs (Daffodils, Alliums, Spring Crocus and Dwarf Irises) all sprouting like it's Spring...amazing!

09/12/2011 at 08:57

The osteospermums I potted up to put in the greenhouse and forgot about so were left out on the drive are still flowering despite a couple of heavy frosts and still have roses and geum in the garden.

Well into Nov we had plants from every season flowering at once.  Seemed very strange to have hellebores flowering at the same time as strawberries ripening!  The salvias flowered better in Nov that they did all summer.

09/12/2011 at 09:25

Novice here - as some plants are doing this will they suffer greatly when it does suddenly go cold?

09/12/2011 at 10:51

@bigphil Wow gorgeous! Certainly brightens up the winter garden. I wonder if it will flower next May?

@BuzzLightYear They could indeed, yes. Any new growth, as well as flowers, leaves and buds could suffer frost damage, if tender. But the plants won't die. You may need to cut back damaged growth in spring (don't be tempted to do it now as it could exacerbate the problem).

Kate

09/12/2011 at 13:20

Thanks Kate. I noticed a Cherry tree with flowers just coming out yesterday. Even my fushias are still flowring away!

09/12/2011 at 14:46

i still have roses and clematis out in bloom 

09/12/2011 at 17:52

daffodils sprouting and tulip bulbs about 5 inches high in our back garden

09/12/2011 at 21:55

I have a rhododendron that should flower in May but has been flowering since September.   It is now producing new leaves, which I expect to be killed off by the frost (when we get some).     I feel sad that I shall not be enjoying it in May - or do you think it will flower again then?

09/12/2011 at 22:17

I went up the garden this morning and filled a big basket with lots of lovely berries and foliage for my Christmas wreath but I could have just as easily filled it with spring flowers - lots of primroses and primulas,pansies,wallflower,love-in-the-mist still blooming away.  And ,for the first time I had winter heather in full bloom for my wreath.  We are going to have our first frost tonight in Bristol so it will be a much different garden tomorrow.  Perhaps I should have picked myself a bunch of rosebuds after all.

10/12/2011 at 11:00
Still have hardy fuchsias in flower bless 'em and I'm in the Midlands! Also have some pelargoniums in pot that I forgot to take in and they're fine. (will take them in now while I remember)
10/12/2011 at 20:36

I have a standard fuschia still in flower in Nottingham but it probably will not be after the frost forecast for tonight. I shall have to get busy and bury it for the Winter soon if I am not to lose it.

10/12/2011 at 20:55

Where I am in the West Midlands, we have only had two slight frosts so far this year.   So roses, fuschias, etc., are still blooming well.   I am sure we will get cold weather soon, but for the moment it is wind and rain that is forecast.

Ron
11/12/2011 at 08:46

Talk about a North/South divide!  a frost killed everything off a month ago here.

11/12/2011 at 15:55

Our plum tomato started flowering again in mid October and we picked 6 moderate sized, but quite green tomatoes last week (30 Nov) just before a frost killed the final plant. All our roses are still going flowering well, next to the more seasonal and deliciously fragrant sarccocca.

Today, Sunday 11th Dec, we saw wallflowers, lupins, delphiniums, penstemons and achilleas  all flowering at Wimpole Hall gardens (National Trust, South Cambridgeshire) forming a colourful but unseasonal back drop for a brass band playing Christmas carols!

But for us, the strangest is the yellow border in nearby fields of rapeseed flowering, having self set after the summer harvest...

1 to 20 of 65 messages