Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plants still in flower?

The weather has been so mixed this year, my plants are so confused! My spring-flowering cherry has produced new flowers and leaves, my foxgloves are still blooming, my cranesbill geraniums have had a sudden, second flush of flowers, and now my daffodils are showing signs of flowering.

Which plants are flowering out of season in your garden? Are you worried?

Kate Bradbury
gardenersworld.com web team

• I have Bidens and Chicory still in flower

• A 20 year old, all outside, Azalia decided it was too cold to wake up in May so has done it now!  Never ever seen that before

• In our walled garden Melianthus major is coming into flower,

• We have Gazanias,fuschias and allysum in full bloom as well as masses of strawberries on our hanging baskets!

• We have Valerian and Lavender still in flower, plus new leaves coming on a deciduous Honeysuckle, and all our bulbs (Daffodils, Alliums, Spring Crocus and Dwarf Irises) all sprouting like it's Spring...amazing!

• CazRCazR Posts: 2

The osteospermums I potted up to put in the greenhouse and forgot about so were left out on the drive are still flowering despite a couple of heavy frosts and still have roses and geum in the garden.

Well into Nov we had plants from every season flowering at once.  Seemed very strange to have hellebores flowering at the same time as strawberries ripening!  The salvias flowered better in Nov that they did all summer.

• Novice here - as some plants are doing this will they suffer greatly when it does suddenly go cold?

• @bigphil Wow gorgeous! Certainly brightens up the winter garden. I wonder if it will flower next May?

@BuzzLightYear They could indeed, yes. Any new growth, as well as flowers, leaves and buds could suffer frost damage, if tender. But the plants won't die. You may need to cut back damaged growth in spring (don't be tempted to do it now as it could exacerbate the problem).

Kate

• Thanks Kate. I noticed a Cherry tree with flowers just coming out yesterday. Even my fushias are still flowring away!

• i still have roses and clematis out in bloom