London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 38 messages
18/10/2013 at 22:41

We have the neighbours conifer hedge at the bottom of the garden. The border is about 2ft deep and 10ft wide. This year I had a monarda, lupin, dahlia. Heaucra, hellbore in. But they all pulled badly to the light.

any ideas fir something that can cope without pulling so much the hedge is probably 10ft tall. 

18/10/2013 at 22:48

Cyclamen Hederifolium should so well under there as will Dryopteris Ferns

18/10/2013 at 22:50

Are the ferns ok with dogs and are they tender or hardy??

18/10/2013 at 22:53

The ferns are completely hardy. They die back in Winter and re-emmerge in spring

18/10/2013 at 22:54

and should be ok with dogs. Never known ferns to be harmful to animals! 

18/10/2013 at 22:56

Never had a fern before but quite fancy trying it. Do they grow large??

18/10/2013 at 23:01

I've never grown them either so I have no idea how large they get :P

I'm sure someone else will come along that knows better than I do :P

18/10/2013 at 23:16

I have been eying up the cyclamen on GW last week and this. I'm v jelous. Liked the look of pulminaria or however you spell it! 

18/10/2013 at 23:51

Pulmonaria's lovely, Dahlia, and even when the flowers are over, the leaves are very pretty.  I think Monty made an awful lot of fuss about transplanting it on tonight's programme - I just dug a clump up and bunged it somewhere else and it grew really well, although I wasn't selecting for 'perfect colour'.  Brunneras are lovely for shade too.  I'm just growing a climbing hydrangea up a shady conifer - early days yet, but it seems to be holding its own; and ferns are lovely - there is an amazing variety http://www.ferns.rogergolding.co.uk/

19/10/2013 at 00:03

Bergenias would grow well,there....some have burgundy coloured leaves and vivid flowers  in spring.  Pulmonarias, yes, ESP those with white/ silvery leaves.  try liriopes too....evergreen grass like plants with purple spikes right now.  there are hardy geraniums that would fit the bill.

Ferns come in a large range so check them out carefully. Consider grassss too.  Festucas, stipa Tennuissima, etc.  

Consider tulbaghia too.  They  have fantastic silver blue foliage topped with pink flowers in summer.

Loads you could consider for that spot.

19/10/2013 at 00:17

Think my problem is that I have picked on flowering times to spread interest and because my garden is so small I have treated it all the same. This year I have noticed it has 3 zones ( it's only 30ftx30ft if that! And a 2ft ish boarder on all sides. Will find a picture....

the conifer boarder is shaded more and plants pull. To the right is a sunny and dryer boarder as garden is built up higher and is backed by concrete gravel board. Then other side on left is sunny but holds more moisture.

next year I'm planning what to do. I'm going to lift my dahlias to over winter then have a think.

i have some large allium to put in but unsure which side yet. The sunny side will take most of what I have but the dry sunny and shade is making me wonder.

astilbe- which side??

19/10/2013 at 00:20

Picture one hope you can see my beds...

http://webkit-fake-url://FC964CC1-9BE9-4661-BFA9-F8229319962B/imagepng

19/10/2013 at 00:22

Earlier in season ....

http://webkit-fake-url://B77817D8-507E-452E-BEE2-B0CEDDAB5622/imagejpeg

19/10/2013 at 00:35

Astilbes need moisture and at least some shade. Can't see,your pictures.  

On the sunny dry  border consider grasses.  Easy good looking plants like stipa Tennuissima provide colour all summer.  And if you provide some "mounds" to provide comtrast, like thymus Silver Posie. (beautiful silvery/grey foliage with pnk flowers) and some winter flowering heathers ( like Ann Sparkes which has dark orange/red foliage and red flowers) you will have an attractive, easy border.

19/10/2013 at 07:13

Pulmonaria will struggle in dry shade, which is what you'll have at the foot of a conifer hedge.  Mine struggle under ash trees where they get rained on for half the year. 

19/10/2013 at 08:44

Ferns prefer filtered sunlight with damp soil - Ferns die more from drying out than anything else. That does not sound like the bottom of a hedge which will be shaded and very dry depending on which face you plant. Soil is also very acidic under a conifer hedge...so unless you can find a Fern variety that like dry soil I would steer you away from them.

19/10/2013 at 08:52

Dryopteris is a classy fern that will grow on dry shade.  I have grown one for years in dry spot. Check it out

19/10/2013 at 09:05

Red Dahlia: try cropping your photos before sending - that sometimes works.

KEF
19/10/2013 at 09:10

Not the most thrilling of things until it flowers but I have Crocosmia at the base of a short conifer hedge. It does get sun from mid-day.

19/10/2013 at 09:19

@Verdun, am sure that you know that the bottom of conifers is especially dry and raped of nutrients. Dryopteris will not do well there - they can deal with dry spells but are hardly succulents and they prefer dampish well draining soil.

1 to 20 of 38 messages