Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plants.

Keen 1Keen 1 Posts: 187

Hi. Ref the double Daylily possibly appearing "under its own  steam" a similar thing happened with this plant. I bought this semi double/double called trachelium "Bernice" many years ago - there is also a white and I do believe now also a pink (not pos on that). I have found that Campanulas readily seed around and I have had whites appear from blue plants particularly with the peach  leaf  variety. Had a lovely white semi double appear from this one which has stayed true  and permanent - not yet flowering.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Another seed weed which I have just been removing, by the wheelbarrow load before they seed again.

• Keen 1Keen 1 Posts: 187

Hi Berghill. I think you must have your Campanulas mixed up. This plant is perfectly well behaved with me and and what few seedlings it has produced one of them was white as stated. Perhaps you have rapunculoides?. In any case  " to each their own" don't you think?.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Conditions in our plots make a huge difference to how plants behave. We had a debate a while back about Japanese anemones which many people struggled to keep under control as they were rampant. In all the gardens I've had them in up here they've been well behaved. Many campanulas are the same - a nuisance in some places, well behaved in others. Even Campanula portenschlagiana has behaved well here and it's a weed in most gardens!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Planted a white bell flowered campanula a few years ago, grows to about 2 - 21/5 foot, and has spread everywhere like the weed it is.  Also removed by the bucket load - roots under walls, steps - everywhere you can think of and a few places I never would have thought of.  It looks lovely for abut 10 minutes then descends to woody, dull leaved nothing muchness!

We also have a very tall pale pink, beautifully perfumed campanula, (lactiflora Lodden Anna), which is a joy - has clumped up to a good big mass but never seeds around (probbably sterile).  Forgot to stake it before i went on holiday so now lying over all its neighbours, my error, will try to remember earlier next year.  Strongly recommend this one if you want a large, pink, perfumed and beautiful campanula.

Hi Fairygirl. Agreed completely but I am talking about this one particular Campanula and wherever it is grown I cannot imagine it being a nuisance. Also agree a lot of them are "over the top" - the thing is to be selective.  I have only this and the peach leaved variety and yes that one seeds about a little but is easily plucked out if need be. I always enjoy keeping a wide eye open for seedlings in the plot - this week have found a lovely blue Larkspur which appeared and yes I will let it seed about. Hope all is well with you.

Hi Bookertoo. Ref my last comment to Fairygirl which please see. Read about them before buying and be selective as with all things. That pink one you have is known to me but never grown - sounds great. Forgot to mention the one I was talking about  trachelium "Bernice" only increases very slowly in a clump - there is a single flowered version of it of course and I have had no experience of it so cannot comment about its behaviour. Regards

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

I do not have my Campanulas mixed up. The two which cause the most trouble here are the one which used to be called C. urticifolia and is now C. trachelium in all its forms, we have double white, purple, pink and singles of all those hues and they all spread every where. The other one is C. persicifolia in its white form which is only out competed by Anemone japonica.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...such pretty cottagey plants.. Campanulas... although I choose not to grow any...wisely I hope...preferring tall spires of foxgloves and Hollyhocks instead...or other tender perennials...

...I like to see them in their native environment too... Campanula rotundifolia grows in valleys on the Big Horn mountains in Montana... I have a photo of a meadow of these about 10,000 feet up I think... you can drive up there of course...as you would expect of the U.S...

..for anyone who may be interested...

http://montana.plant-life.org/species/camp_rotund.htm