Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

can anyone tell me what this plant is and if and when it flowers? I need to know if I keep it or get rid of it.

Thanks

Ian

nutcutlet

Looks like acanthus mollis, flowers about July if it flowers at all. I get flowers sometimes. It's currently on a warning. Another year of no flowers and/or mildew and it's out.

But if you get a good flowering year it's stunning

fidgetbones

Looka a lot like acanthus mollis.

Nice if you have the room for a 1m x 1m spread,  up to 2m high. Whatever you do don't let it seed or you'll be digging them out for years. trouble is it's propagated by root cuttings, so like dandelions and docks, any bit left becomes a new plant.

fidgetbones

Would you like some acanthus spinosus, nut cutlet?. I've got tons of the stuff. Same spikes as acanthus mollis, but spiky leaves. Bugger to get rid of, but it flowers without fail every year.

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Yes please fb. I have got a small piece of that but it's been the same small piece for years. I think it must be defective in some way.

artjak

After 3 years of my Acanthus getting hammered by the winters we've had I dug mine out and put in the rose Margaret Merrill, which within 2 months is flowering. I also took note of comments about it being invasive.

nutcutlet

has it reappeared around the rose artjak?

artjak

Not as yet, nut, there were no roots left as far as I could see; basically I think it was too defeated by the cold and damp.