London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
8 messages
24/06/2012 at 11:22

I am reading more and more about people using water for fuchsias,how successful is this method ? and what is the procedure for doing this.

24/06/2012 at 11:27

Just take cuttings in the normal way-cutting just below a leaf-node-put some cling-film over a glass of water-that supports the cutting-push it through a hole-in a few weeks it will make roots.

It is important at the first sign of rooting to pot into compost and not leave them in the water.

At least this way you know you have a rooting cutting

24/06/2012 at 11:43

I find it fascinating just to watch the roots appear and it is quite useful if you find a broken stem to be able to just pop it into water. I still find the ones rooted in compost appear to make healthier plants.

24/06/2012 at 13:03

One thing to remember if you root in water is that once you've put the cuttings in compost you need to keep them in an open-topped plastic bag for a week, and well out of sunshine - otherwise, they are liable to wilt badly and be lost.

Kate, I've never found the slightest difference between water-rooted and compost-rooted plants unless I've let the roots get too long in water, when they can take longer to establish.

24/06/2012 at 13:06

The only problem doing it this way is the roots will not be a strong so take extra care when potting them on,  I used to do the water way but then started to use the gel method which was equally thrilling to watch the moved on again to hormone powder,  for me the powder works faster but you don't get to see the rootlets grow,  as long as all methods work why worry.

24/06/2012 at 13:12

Alina I have learnt something new, I thought the longer the root the easier they would establish, thanks.

24/06/2012 at 13:29

Thanks everyone,I will give it a try.

24/06/2012 at 14:50

I have 6 plants I propagated in water last summer which are doing absolutely brilliantly. I have also potted up 4 cuttings earlier this morning which have been stood in water on my kitchen window sill for about 8-10 weeks. 

Alina you really are a mine of information...I didn't know about putting a plastic bag over them for a week or so. I do remember loosing some of my cuttings quite quickly last year after potting them up & now I know why. Cheers

I believe Hydrangea can be propagated in the same way too though a haven't tried that yet.

email image
8 messages