Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Replanting aquilegias

SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I am slightly concerned that I have sowed dragons teeth so to say when I replanted my aquilegias. I couldn't get all of the root up and I now suspect I might have created more plants by moving them or does it take more than just leaving some root in the ground.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Bits of aquilegia will not grow unless there is a growing shoot left in. If it was a really big plant, you may find it won't  transplant well.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

The dragon's teeth is a reference to Greek mythology. Can't remember if it was Heracles that was tricked in to sow the teeth but the result was that an army sprung up where he sowed the teeth. Bindweed might have been a better reference as it is that it does when the roots break.

I thought you could propagate it easily without any leaves on the root just pop it in the ground.

Not sure if mine would be regarded as big but it was hell to shift. I think the root was bigger than a pound coin at the top

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Unintentionally I've left bits of root in the ground and found plantlets growing the following year.

Never tried to move a large Aguilera, when they have seeded just moved the plantlet's.

Not much help there then! image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are you sure the plantlets aren't seedlings Bizzie? Aquilegia is a prolific self seeder

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • SFordSFord Posts: 224

I agree nutculet, could very possibly be self seeded - and I speak from experience, however I do love them so often dig up and move to a more suitable space if they are not where I want them.  Their foliage is also a lovely touch to the garden as it grown in tidy mounds.

Had a load self seed into my strawberry patch on the allotment so have left them there to encourage pollinators.

Oops! yes nutcutlet. Should have explained more. Aquilegia seed everywhere so I thin them out, leave some in the ground to 'grow on', then move to other borders the following year. No greenhouse so use what space I have for growing cuttings etc . 

• ValderieValderie Posts: 5

I often move aquilegia because, like SFord, I like them. Also they are easy to grow and don't mind being moved around. I do, however, have a very sunny garden so I have to make sure any moved plants are given adequate water if it's warm.

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

Hi Valderie - I have a very dry and sunny garden too and they don't seem to be disadvantaged at all by not being fussed over!  I do mulch annually though so that may keep them happy!  I certainly dont water unless its weeks and weeks with no rain.

I love the fact that I was given a plant in one colour (a lovely deep purple with a yellow centre) and the seedlings have not come true and are a really wide variety of colours from the palest pink, pale yellow through to a ceris pink/red.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I'm suspecting that I might have killed them. They are not looking happy there they are (read wilting) and on top of everything it is really cold here now.

For a delicate looking plant I find they are remarkably resilient. Give them time and they will recover. This cold spell is a hindrance if you want to move or plant anything. So 'when in doubt do nowt' - as my gran would say!