London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
15/08/2012 at 16:05

I moved here 2 years ago and front garden was a decent sized square of lawn with no plants at all. I started digging up the lawn and making a spiral border that ultimately will fill the whole space with shingle paths following the spiral shape. Soon after I began I noticed a crop of fungi in a very regular pattern across the lawn. Honey fungus. I was therefore not surprised to find when digging huge fat roots of trees that had been cut down and the roots left. This has resulted in bent forks and a sore back plus the worry about the honey fungus affecting the plants I am putting in. Any thoughts on what plants would be at risk? 

15/08/2012 at 17:04
As I understand it herbaceous perennials will not,be affected. Woody shrubs of many kinds are susceptible to honey fungus. Can you take out the roots completely? Evergreen perennials like hellebores are ok too I think so you could still make an attractive border. I have planted an area where a large viburnum and. Eleagnus were cut down. I intended just planting for colour, etc in this area when I cut these shrubs and then to remove them the following autumn. However, I have cannas, echinaceas, dahlias, hellebores, pinks, Heucheras, clematis, etc., as well as various bulbs growing well and the stumps, 3 years later, breaking up fast to the extent that they are not now noticeable or problematic
15/09/2013 at 14:07

hello i moved into my house about 3 year ago and have got a large leylandii hedge at the bottom of a south facing garden it has a big hole mid way what plants could i plant to fill the hole please help

10/09/2014 at 12:40

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/59366.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/59367.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

So what on earth am I going to do here?

10/09/2014 at 13:33

What do you want to do?

10/09/2014 at 17:25

I had to smile - firstly, it was not our choice to remove these trees but they were upsetting out neighbour ........ its cost us a great deal of money which we couldn't really afford.  We are both 75.

I want to plant a few shrubs to give us some privacy from next door as they overlook our bedrooms.  But the soil is going to be rubbish, even though we've had the stumps ground up and spread around.

The first thing is to sow some lawn seeds, but it'll be difficult to mow right up to the dry stone wall, and we are not really capable of strimming all the way down to the bottom.  We do have a 'ride-on' mower.

What shrubs will grow in these conditions?

10/09/2014 at 17:37

Are the piled up trunks staying? Just about anything will grow if you nourish the soil and give it a good water. 

Acid or alkaline or neutral?

10/09/2014 at 20:17

Its fairly neutral soil - quite stoney - but with all these ground up leylandii I suspect its pretty acid now - I suppose I should get a test kit.  We've got rid of the piled up trunks, but everywhere is covered in chippings now of course.  We do have access to FYM but its bulky and artificial fertiliser is expensive ..... no worries about water here (Cumbria) although this year has been exceptionally dry. 

I wonder if the best thing would be to just get a lawn established over winter - and then take stock in the Spring to see if we can make life a bit easier in the maintenance department.

10/09/2014 at 22:04

Well, if you want some shrubs to block the neighbours' view you should think about them before making a lawn. I am of advancing years myself so I know that you will want something that doesn't hang around looking coy and trying to decide if it should think about growing. Cherry laurels are fast growing, evergreen, don't mind shade, don't mind stones or lousy soil and are cheap.

And now is a good time to get a lawn made. Turf would be quick.

22/10/2014 at 14:18

we are in the process of removing a well established leylandi hedge which runs all around our garden luckily there is a fence behind it. All of the comments here have been really useful, so thank you all.

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages