London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 23 of 23 messages
15/08/2012 at 16:05

I moved here 2 years ago and front garden was a decent sized square of lawn with no plants at all. I started digging up the lawn and making a spiral border that ultimately will fill the whole space with shingle paths following the spiral shape. Soon after I began I noticed a crop of fungi in a very regular pattern across the lawn. Honey fungus. I was therefore not surprised to find when digging huge fat roots of trees that had been cut down and the roots left. This has resulted in bent forks and a sore back plus the worry about the honey fungus affecting the plants I am putting in. Any thoughts on what plants would be at risk? 

15/08/2012 at 17:04
As I understand it herbaceous perennials will not,be affected. Woody shrubs of many kinds are susceptible to honey fungus. Can you take out the roots completely? Evergreen perennials like hellebores are ok too I think so you could still make an attractive border. I have planted an area where a large viburnum and. Eleagnus were cut down. I intended just planting for colour, etc in this area when I cut these shrubs and then to remove them the following autumn. However, I have cannas, echinaceas, dahlias, hellebores, pinks, Heucheras, clematis, etc., as well as various bulbs growing well and the stumps, 3 years later, breaking up fast to the extent that they are not now noticeable or problematic
15/09/2013 at 14:07

hello i moved into my house about 3 year ago and have got a large leylandii hedge at the bottom of a south facing garden it has a big hole mid way what plants could i plant to fill the hole please help

email image
21 to 23 of 23 messages