London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 37 messages
07/03/2013 at 23:02

Decided to get a real Christmas Tree last year and bought one in a pot to go on the coffee table, it's about 2ft tall. It went outside in January and I didn't expect it to survive but it looks as healthy as the day it was bought, hasn't dropped any leaves but needs re-potting. My Q is, what type of compost will it need and what area is it likely to grow best in shade or full sun.

I don't know the variety but purchased it from Lidl, was wondering how it big it would grow in a year and should it be fed over summer. Any advise...

08/03/2013 at 05:49

Put it in John Innes No 3 loam based compost and I would think that would have enough nutrients in it for this summer.  

It's probably a Norwegian Spruce (they're the ones more frequently sold in pots, unless someone knows that Lidl were selling something different?) - it will need good light but if it's in a pot it won't be happy if it gets hot and dry, so I think I'd give it full sun in spring and autumn but move it into a more shady spot in the mid summer, and if we have a very dry spell I'd give the foliage regular sprays with a hose as well as plenty of water for the pot.

They can grow up to 3 ft per year in optimal conditions, but I imagine that in a pot the growth will be slower - you'll have to let us know 

08/03/2013 at 07:53

There's a thread about Christmas trees in pots, with some 60 messages, and the occasional photo, here:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/-christmas--tree/65099.html

08/03/2013 at 21:22

I remember the thread about Christmas tree's now, just been through it again. Some nice tree's and good advise. I also contributed but don't know how to retrieve old threads.

It looks like a Norwegian Spruce, will pot it up as advised and move it to a shady spot in the summer, that's if we get one this year. It would be nice if it did grow 3ft.

I also bought three tiny variegated conifers before winter last year, wasn't sure what to do with those but presumably they can be treated the same as the Spruce.  

05/01/2014 at 08:11

I have a tree from last year which did well in the summer and grew a few inches. Did us well for Christmas this year  and is looking happy outside again. I feel l should re-pot for nutrients but do not want it to get much bigger. Can I repot in same size pot or give feed without repotting? 

05/01/2014 at 08:34

Is it pot-bound?  If so personally speaking I'd go up one size bigger pot and repot in JI No 3 as above.  

You can tease out the roots a bit to loosen old compost  before potting on with fresh compost - the more fresh compost you use the more nutrients you'll be providing for the tree - it's a tricky line you have to tread - providing enough nutrients to keep the tree healthy without it growing too much.  

No tree will remain the same size - even bonsai trees grow, but they can be pruned to keep them small - Christmas trees do not take kindly to pruning - it spoils the shape.

I'd let it grow slowly, and then, when it's too big for you to use at Christmas I'd bite the bullet - shred it and start again ..............  heartless I know but the other option is to give it its freedom, plant it in the garden, and allow it to become one of the many huge lonely ex Christmas trees at the bottom of gardens, pining* for a forest 

*there's a joke in there 

05/01/2014 at 09:13

Dove

I would like a small christmas tree to grow in a pot or the garden, i'm hoping they are still available in the gc

05/01/2014 at 09:42

I'm thinking of growing something in a pot that I could decorate and stand on the front porch at Christmas - I used to use the lollipop bay but it's too big to cart around there now without us putting our backs out for Christmas.  I did think of a holly but if I have a holly I want it to be big enough to cut sprigs for decorating.  

I wondered about a Colorado Blue Spruce - they're a lovely shape and colour - but they grow huge - don't know how long I could keep it small enough for the porch  

05/01/2014 at 12:57

Dove, i've just looked up Colorado blue spruce on the internet. They look lovely,  and they grow cones on them which I love. They are 34.99, but they grow to 4m and 1.5 wide. Bit big for where I want it. 

05/01/2014 at 13:02

For stability and to prevent drying out during the summer Xmas tree in pots are best buried I think.  

05/01/2014 at 21:11

Bigger than that in the wild Lily  http://www.arborday.org/treeguide/treeDetail.cfm?ID=39 

05/01/2014 at 22:33

I took the advise given, thanks Dove.

My tree grew about 1/2 ft last year and was potted up in a mix of home grown compost and multi purpose compost, it was fed on liquid seaweed occassionally throughout the summer and kept by the house so wasn't exposed to too much sun and didn't dry out but had good light. It looked really healthy and still does.

Mine's still indoors, was going to put it out today but the weather was cold,wet and windy. I potted up last year into a clay pot, it was so heavy bringing indoors this time would advise a plastic pot and burying the pot in the garden,if you have the space,to reduce watering, the tree will take up water then,from the bed it's planted in.

I waited till March to pot up last year, will do the same this year but replant into a plastic pot the same size and scoop out compost from the sides and any loose compost round the roots, adding fresh stuff to give the tree some nutrients, primarily because I don't want it growing too tall and if potted up into a bigger pot it willl get taller.

Hope this is helpful..happy gardening...

05/01/2014 at 22:55

Oooh ek Dove, big then 

05/01/2014 at 23:10

Hi,

Not sure what you mean sgl. It was good advise, I've a Christmas Tree which will give lots of pleasure for many years to come...  

06/01/2014 at 08:18

Glad it was helpful Zoomer 

Think Lily was referring to my ponderings about the possibility or not of keeping a Colorado Blue Spruce in a pot 

06/01/2014 at 12:01

Sorry Zoomer, meant Doves spruce.

06/01/2014 at 14:45

I thought most table Christmas trees where Picea glauca conica  (Dwarf Alberta Spruce) and not Norwegian Spruce.

06/01/2014 at 20:39

no probs sgl.

I've checked out both tree's and me thinks mine might be a dwarf albertas spruce it's looks similar to both but is quite compact, I won't lose sleep over it though, just happy to have a real tree  

06/01/2014 at 20:54

Might take a trip to the gc at weekend to see if they have any xmas trees in pots for next year.

06/01/2014 at 21:51
Zoomer44 wrote (see)

no probs sgl.

I've checked out both tree's and me thinks mine might be a dwarf albertas spruce it's looks similar to both but is quite compact, I won't lose sleep over it though, just happy to have a real tree  

They stay small and compact and are superior trees to Norwegian Spruce imho.

1 to 20 of 37 messages