Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

rice paper paper plant

hi

i've recently acquired a rice paper plant and want to plant in a pot.  I live in the North West, the pot would be in a fairly sheltered environment - would this be okay or would it be better to wait over winter before taking out of the greenhouse?

thanks! :)

• I take it this is a Tatrapanix papyrifer. 

You say you live in the North West. North west of where? This is a UK based forum and most contributors are from Europe with a few others scattered around the globe  ... are you in the UK or maybe the US or somewhere else all together? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Arthur1Arthur1 Posts: 542

I covet one of those.,  Seems to be moderately hardy here in Shropshire.  Would be sensible to keep under cover until next May, put some effort into planting and mulch in autumn.

• North west of Uk - Manchester thanks!

It grows well, even thrives, in the Dorothy Clive garden in N Shropshire.

• ok so maybe leaving out in a pot here won't be that big an issue?!

Plants in pots are more vulnerable because the root ball can freeze. But you could bring it into a greenhouse or shed during cold weather or wrap the pot with bubble wrap.