London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
6 messages
04/07/2014 at 20:39

Hi all,  I've got a 3 yr old Margaret Merrill rose which flowered beautifully the first year, didn't do much last year and this year although it's grown quite tall, has no flower buds on it at all. Has had the same treatment as my other two roses in the same bed, i.e. been pruned, mulched, fed & watered. Faces west, in clay soil,but is only 2 ft away from 6ft high box hedge behind it.

I did wonder if I pruned it too severely last year as this time it's shot up to over 5ft but looks very healthy.

Any ideas?

04/07/2014 at 21:13
So it flowered well straight from the garden centre but not once it had settled in?

I grow roses but have never done it systematically. However, I have formed the idea that roses don't like competition. When you see those spectacular displays the plants are all given a lot of space with clean soil around them. Is that the case here? Even though you are watering it, it may be feeling crowded by the presence of the hedge.

Just a thought.
04/07/2014 at 21:27
Have you tried that miccrorhysal stuff, im pretty neglectful of my roses, but always make sure they are planted with that stuff, in fact i use it wherever i can, really seems amazing stuff.
I suppose it could just be gaining strength for next year, if its only been in for a year, it may be making lots of root growth
04/07/2014 at 21:58
Hopefully. Mike will not get hate mail for being or parading as a know it all. Here I set aside the text books etc. As a Rosearian Might I add my two pennarth. As with this years plants, shrubs etc in general. So many strange things have taken place. In all honesty. I urge everyone, not to blame themselves for underwatering , under feeding etc. At this juncture. I do honestly believe that mots forum members do go a bit too far with feeding. Never mind. Back to Roses. As most members are aware. I have forked out a small fortune on roses. Believe it or not. I feel that I could very easily convince myself, thgat I am an amateure. In the front row. I have Rosa. My Valentine. I think I have given due credence to my choice here. My Valentine was my Valerie. Born on 14 Feb 1944 so how could I not include this rose in her memorial garden. It is HT and the catalogue details are correct. However, perhaps something to do with my health probs etc. I was unable to prune. Now this particular rose is about eigt feet tall. One mass of blooms. To be honest. I am thinking about insertin a stron stake/pole and allowing at least part of the subjet to grow into a pillar. Lokk to be honest. So many new, never before things are taking place. Go for it, take a chance, test it out, experiment.
04/07/2014 at 23:01

Roses are hungry beasts and don't like competition. I go for varieties that can go in a mixed border, but even then I still feed them copiously and water frequently.

05/07/2014 at 18:26

Thanks for all the advice folks. Will wait and see if the rose flowers later in the year.

email image
6 messages