London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
41 to 52 of 52 messages
20/05/2013 at 00:00

Leggi, I love your writing

Verdun, I have only just dicovered this thread; it is too late at night to discuss this, but it may be bamboo sticks at dawn

20/05/2013 at 08:55

I'm looking forward to this, bamboo sticks! How exciting! I'm for annuals, but it the right places.

20/05/2013 at 09:05

Yes....but those annuals look so gaudy and in your face suitable only for parks and for window boxes........................................(stir stir stir.......)

20/05/2013 at 09:32

Depends which ones......................(argue argue argue..........)

21/05/2013 at 13:10

Moved late autumn last year and had a garden full of cigarette butts, balls, inflatables, ivy, brambles, battered shrubs, etc. and have now cleared the lot. I'm going to grow cosmos sulphureus, calendula indian prince, nigella love in a mist (white and blue), cerinthe major purpurascens 'shrimp plant', french marigolds (GH for toms), papaver lacinatum 'pink fizz', chrysanthemum polar star, rudbeckia cherry brandy and some catananche cupids darts. I really want to encourage as many bees, hover flies and butterflies as possible and think these will fill any gaps I have this year. On the plus side, went to crocus' open day in early May and have got some very nice perennials for the future. Can't wait, but definitely won't have room next year for all those annuals, not in the borders anyway! By the way, if you want bees, then cerinthe major purpurascens shrimp plants literally hum with them.

21/05/2013 at 13:33

That's a lovely selection, Adam. Perfect use for them. Annuals are very good when building a garden and haven't yet got enough or big enough perennials.

21/05/2013 at 14:10

I like self seeders. Being a lazy gardener I love the fact that I've never bought a forgetme not seed or plant but I have sea of blue between the perennials which are not ready to flower yet.  Then I just yank them out and throw them on the compost heap, and next year up they come again. I will plant cosmos in the gaps for the summer to last until the frosts.

21/05/2013 at 14:31

I mostly have perenials in the garden but i do like colourful annuals in pots and they fill in gaps in the garden. Lots of cosmos. Hoping to get Echium to encourage the bees, who still seem to be in bed where its warm.

21/05/2013 at 14:39

Its cold in Nottingham too. The big apple tree (james grieve) is absolutely laden with blossom, better looking than an ornamental cherry, but all the bees are in hiding.

I suppose I could go out with a paintbrush, but the neighbours think I'm mad already.

21/05/2013 at 20:47

Verdun; a garden, like a house should never be a static thing. How many times a week do you look at the pictures in your house - I bet you never do! That is because they have been there since pterodactyls flew over Hyde Park. A garden which only contains perennials, contains no surprises and for you, the owner is a static entity that you possibly no longer really 'see'. Introducing a sprinkle of annuals here and there can enhance the perennials and make you see them in a different way.

Annuals represent change; change is good for humans, we become stale without it.

26/05/2013 at 09:12

Artjak, good points.  I do grow annuals....stirring a bit there....and agree that they do ring the changes a bit.  I like argyranthemums and cosmos in the garden and bidens, busy lizzies, begonias, etc in pots.

You are wisdom personified artjak...those pteroda, terro, terrodac, tetra......those dinosaurs havent been here this summer though....lol

26/05/2013 at 12:43

That's because I haven't visited

email image
41 to 52 of 52 messages