Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Schizostylis - growing tips

Hi all,

I've bought a schizostylis major and wondered if anyone had any experience of them, including overwintering.

I've read the other threads on here and I'm not entirely sure if I'm fussing over nothing, thinking it is less hardy than it really is.

I was going to put it in a pot, but sunk in the ground, thinking I could put it in the shed over winter and protect it from the elements.

Does this seem like the right thing to do? I was thinking about the winter cold, wet and winds. Otherwise the place it will be in the garden is full sun, good soil but with a tendency to clag up over winter, NE England.

Thank youimage

Wearside, England.

• Never had a problem over wintering in the garden, in Buckinghamshire. Seem to recall seeing them in a Scottish nursery garden too. Think they are quite tough.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

Oh, cheers trillium- that's good news, maybe I'll put them straight in the ground then. I just assumed they must be difficult as I don't see them around.

Thank youimage

Wearside, England.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think the two I tried died of dryness rather than cold and wet

In the sticks near Peterborough

Then it's defo better off in the ground than in a sunk in pot. My soil's normally still dampish underneath even when the top few inches bake...cool...Thanksimage

Wearside, England.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I got a "major" last autumn - survived its first winter happily, and is now busy flowering (which is strange as its much too early for themimage).  we are in a frost pocket in Surrey

• I have had them take over a boggy area. They prefer damp soil and increase by runners and seed, although the latter will not necessarily come true to type if you have bought a named form.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Love them to bits as they flower in the Autumn. Perfectly hardy in my experience. Come in very good colours from palest to bold pink.

Great, thanks for your replies, I'll get it in while the ground is soft.

Wearside, England.
  • AirwavesAirwaves Posts: 82

I too live in N.E. England and have never had any  problems overwiintering.They flower profusely and are always admired. Unlike chicky's plants they have a way to go yet before flowering this year. At the end of the flowering season I don't worry about tidying them up too much before spring

I don't know why I was worried Airwaves, just my unfamiliarity with them I suppose!

Yes, I'll leave the foliage til spring, it's what I tend to do anyway.image

Wearside, England.