London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
12 messages
21/03/2014 at 10:30

Hi

so, this sunday just passed i sewn a small number of seeds, splitting 2x 40 cell modules into 8x10 so each plant has 10 modules. this is my first seed sowing experiment, and i noticed this morning already that the tagetes, calendula, lettuce, and aubretia have come up - with 2 leaves. however, the tomato seeds and parsley have yet to surface - so now with a mix of seed types in the same propogator, im not sure whether to open the vent or not - there is still lots of condensation within the propogator. probably wasn't the best idea to sow them separately! but oh well you live and learn ...

so anyway, im not sure what the best thing to do is? let some air in? leave them for a while longer? it has only been 5 days.

21/03/2014 at 10:37

Can you separate the seedlings that have germinated and stand those modules into a seedtray or similar without a top?

21/03/2014 at 10:46

Hi Dove

hmm, im not sure it would be quite fiddly. the module tray is 40 cell one piece. i could possibly cut it so i have 4x 10 cell pieces? 

21/03/2014 at 11:31

That's what I do. They don't last very long anyway so I regard them as disposable.

21/03/2014 at 11:47

perfect, thanks guys. best get those seedlings out asap tonight then before they fail!

21/03/2014 at 19:30

I cut mine too and remove the sprouted seedlings' modules from the propagator.

21/03/2014 at 20:52

little pic update .. i have now cut out the seedlings that have germinated and put them open in a tray:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39981.jpg?width=204&height=350&mode=max

these are calendula officinalis, tagetes tenuifola, dainty marietta, and mixed lettuce.

22/03/2014 at 07:32

They need lots of light - they're looking a little 'drawn'.  

22/03/2014 at 10:43

Hi Dove

i have them on a west facing, huge window. its the best spot they can be in. only thing that might have let them down a little is maybe staying in the propogator too long, with the lid having lots of condensation it would have been a little darker in there.

fingers crossed they make it through!

at what point do i thin them out, or is that not til they are potted on ?

22/03/2014 at 10:59

You're probably right about it having been a bit dark in the propagator - just turn them regularly - they'll have to cope with a west window if that's all there is.  

You can put a mirror behind them, or foil or white painted card like photographers do to reflect the light back at the other side of them 

As for thinning out - there are one or two growing very close - ease the smaller one out very gently now so the bigger one can develop unimpeded.  

They're in modules, so as long as you've only got one per module there's no need to prick out, - you can grow them on in the modules until they're ready to plant out - but if they're in seed compost I'd give them a little weak feed when they've got their first pair of true leaves. 

Edd
22/03/2014 at 11:00

From the look of the photo they will not need thinning out. You should be able to pot on or plant out directly, when they are a little bigger. 

22/03/2014 at 11:28

If you're thinning at this stage, it's best to nip off the one you don't want at or just above soil level with fingernails or scissors.  Pulling it out, however gently, is likely to disrupt the root of the plant next to it.  You've sown them beautifully regularly for a seed tray - mine are never as neat as that.

email image
12 messages