London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 41 messages
10/03/2013 at 17:32
Hello everyone on this very cold day. Could anyone give me some advice on slitting a large shrub called rose of Sharon it's in my garden and I would like to dig it up and slit into two and place one bit back in the hole and the other somewhere else in the garden is it a good idea or should I leave it alone
10/03/2013 at 17:37

You cannot spilt a woody shrub-what you could do is take cuttings and grow them on

But you need suitable cutting material

10/03/2013 at 17:39

Hi Tracy

Is this one of the shrubby hypericums? What I know as Rose of Sharon spreads itself without help from you or me. If it's shrubby and has two or more stems from below ground level you may be able to split it. Hard to tell without looking at it. If you do split it try and keep a good lump of root untouched so you'll at least still have the original if a split off piece doesn't survive.

10/03/2013 at 17:44
Thanks for that sotongeoff I will have a go at that. It's just got a bit big now and I'm not confident enough to give it a trim to bring the width and height of it down. Basically I planted it in the wrong place about six years ago I'm still very new to gardening and I'm looking through the window thinking of what I should move and where I've gone wrong thanks again.
10/03/2013 at 17:49
Hello nutcutlet my shrubs looks like it has lots of stems down in the ground so maybe I could split it then.
Lyn
10/03/2013 at 17:59
If you wait till it flowers, it will seed itself all over the garden, I planted one last year and at the end of summer there were dozens of them, you could put some up and discard the main plant if it's too big.
10/03/2013 at 18:24

I have 2 hypericons and I cut them back quite ruthlessly whenever they are getting a bit bossy

10/03/2013 at 18:29

There's the ground cover invasive one, the shrubby ones like 'Hidcote', the seed everywhere type, (Hypericum androsomething or other). Which one have you got?

10/03/2013 at 18:58
I'm not sure which one i have I know it looks lovely every year with its bright yellow flowers that last for ages but doesn't spread seed anywhere but it has got bigger and very round can't send you picture can't send them on ipad not sure how
10/03/2013 at 19:01

There is also a Hibiscus that is called a Rose of Sharon

10/03/2013 at 19:07
I've found it in a book it's a hypericum calycinum hooray so what can I do with it now everyone split it trim it or leave it
10/03/2013 at 19:14

Oh that-had one of those and dug it out last year-trust me you cannot split it-it was a real bugger to get out of the ground

You can hack it back hard though-it will come back-again -trust me

10/03/2013 at 19:40
Ok that's what I shall do when should I cut it now or after summer ?;)
10/03/2013 at 19:42

Do it now-well when it is nice to be outside-it will still flower this year

10/03/2013 at 19:45
Thank you again sotongeoff I will do it when we get the sun back
10/03/2013 at 20:28
Make sure what you have tracyshed. Hypericum comes in different forms as already stated. If yours is WOODY, looks like a big shrub it's a goodie. If its leafy and low growing it's a baddie....you dont want it.
I have "split" the shrubby, woody hypericum. Sometimes when a shrub is dug up it will,have another root system....maybe layered itself or for another reason. Pull them apart and you have two Shrubs. I think you can safely dig up hypericum and replant it now....I find if doesn't mind being disturbed if replanted reasonably quickly and well watered.
10/03/2013 at 20:34
Thanks for that verdin shame I can't a picture of.well I was going to order another one from magazine but it says grows to 40cm high well that's the height of mine at allmine must be 4ft
10/03/2013 at 20:34

Are you sure it's Hypericum calycinum Tracy? This is an invasive ground cover plant (see what sotongeoff sas a few posts ago). I wouldn't describe that as a large shrub. It's large in the way it spreads but 18 inches would be as tall as it goes, often less.

There are some, eg a cultivar called Hidcote that go to about a metre and a half. These are a lot more refined, garden worthy and often seen in GCs

10/03/2013 at 20:36
I should stop watching tv and learn to write properly 40cm isn't the height of mine at all its about 4ft hope that looks right
10/03/2013 at 20:39

Oh Tracey-I can see you sitting there scratching your head all confused about what to do?

-is it possible to get to a PC to post a picture?

1 to 20 of 41 messages