London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
21 to 32 of 32 messages
10/10/2013 at 22:41

Depends a bit on the bulbs though. Tulips should be planted later than daffodils. I don't plant them until November. Just planted a load of daffodils in the grass.

11/10/2013 at 17:39

Oh lovely Heavy Rain forecast for tomorrow now 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2651654

11/10/2013 at 22:59

Hello, Brumbull, haven't heard from you for ages. What have you been doing?

12/10/2013 at 12:33

Managed to plant my tete a tetes and primroses in my giant box planter and cut down and dig out the sunflowers/zinnias/cosmos and cineraria.

Ive brought all the flowers that were left inside in some vases

But its just starte pouring with rain, I hope it doesnt last too long

12/10/2013 at 14:25

Got all my Alliums in

But I think I bought too many Daffs for my small garden

So I think I'll just put them in pots and add them to gaps in the spring as Verdun suggested

I'll do my Tulips in the last week of October/ 1st week of November

12/10/2013 at 14:35

It's the best solution Matt. I'm doing the same as I have a lot of new areas to plant so everything will be a bit immature. A big pot of spring bulbs is cheery on a dull day but a lot of smaller ones popped into the borders gives a lovely effect too. 

12/10/2013 at 16:34

I have lots of small pots that I save from work and bought plants. I have those mixed bags of Daffs from Wilkinsons, some are quite big but most are medium size.

What size pots should I plant in and how many per pot?

12/10/2013 at 19:36

Depends on the size of the bulb.   Daffs, for me, are best around the rim of,the pot and one in the centre.  Size?  Well, not quite touching ...maybe a finger's width between them.  I plant deep so maybe on 2cm of compost. When I plant the whole thing  out I do so even deeper in the ground.  Hyacinths would be one in 1 litre pot and 3 in 2 litre.

Matt, not too keen on those mixed daffs simply because I don't know how big each will be, what colour, what type.   I,prefer to buy named varieties and pot these up for a group of,similar flowers.  But.....daffs are daffs.....a load of colour is guaranteed in spring.  

12/10/2013 at 19:54

Yea your probably right, they were only cheap, but now I can see the benefit of buying particular varieties.

The bulbs vary in size, mainly between 10-20cm each. I dont have many big pots to use, most are 1litre or less.

13/10/2013 at 10:44

Managed to get the rest of my Daffs potted up. Found a couple of 2L pots and that big 4L terracotta one my Cordyline came in. The rest are all 1L with 2 bulbs in each :P

I'll let the forecast rain give them a good water now!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32363.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

Just the tulips left to plant now and a free bag of Sparaxis I had with my Allium order

13/10/2013 at 10:54

Haven't done any pots of daffs for a while, they do look lovely in the spring. Got quite a few in the garden so wont be adding to them as I find they do take ages to die back down once they have flowered. Beautiful plants though, I love them.

Might pick up a few for some pots this year. I like sparaxis, very pretty flowers

13/10/2013 at 11:09

Yea They are very pretty Sparaxis. I'll wait until I take out my Bellini Dahlia from the Wooden Barrel. I can plant them in there then.

email image
21 to 32 of 32 messages