London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
16 messages
27/03/2014 at 16:03

I am growing some Shirley toms and would appreciate your views on the merits or not of using Doff Tomato Feed which has seeweed and magnesium

Thanks

27/03/2014 at 16:11

I don't feed tomatoes until the first truss is set, but seaweed and magnesium sounds ok for toms.

27/03/2014 at 17:25

I agree with fidget; don't feed them 'till 1st truss is set. and that feed sounds ok.

27/03/2014 at 17:41

I grew Shirley last year; the plant outside (against a south-facing wall) did better than the one in the greenhouse.  Both were fed with Tomorite.  Additional seaweed and Mg sounds a good idea.

27/03/2014 at 22:14

Yup, doff is fine for toms but as has already been said, don't feed them at all until the first truss has set fruit or all you are likely to get is masses of foliage and very little tomatoes.

28/03/2014 at 08:32

Doff has a decent NPK for toms. Fertilise sparingly even after the first fruit is set. Tom plants simply don't need to be stuffed with nutrients.

28/03/2014 at 11:18

The 10 plants are about 9 inches tall in 9 inch wide pots

I feel I have 3 options

1...Plant out

2...Put outside in pots

3...Leave in my conservatory

? Any thoughts friends

Oh....wait..... its raining in Bristol............Me Babbers !!

28/03/2014 at 14:26

NewBoy:  Inside in pots while the weather is cool, outside from the time the sun really starts to heat up  and protect at night if the forecast is cool or rainy (gardening fleece, old net curtains, etc.).  :Leaving them in pots means you can follow the sun around if necessary and frees up veg patch space for other luscious goodies.

28/03/2014 at 14:53

I would leave them in the conservatory.

28/03/2014 at 20:56

Newboy2: now I'm jealous. I pricked out my toms today and they are only about an inch high and in small root trainers. 9" pots in late March seems well advanced but remember toms do not like to get cold. I'm in Mangotsfield, North East Bristol and it's too cold to contemplate putting tender plants out just yet and yes, it's raining here too!!!

28/03/2014 at 21:19

Rain isn't a problem, NewBoy, temps are the consideration for planting outside either in the ground or in pots. You'd need at least high teens C daytime and not less than mid-teens overnight to be worthwhile.

28/03/2014 at 21:42

I'll be sowing the seed of mine this week-end, I know this will give me a nice sized plants for my cold greenhouse during the second week in May, when hopefully we shouldn't have anymore frost.....the seed of outdoor varieties will be sown two week's later.

29/03/2014 at 07:14

Although my tomato harvest last year was v good, I'm holding off a bit longer before starting seeds indoors (probably till mid/late Apr). I started them about this time last year but the cold end to Spring meant I kept them inside longer than they'd have liked and they were somewhat light-starved - I've only got a small coldframe, no proper greenhouse/conservatory. Having said that, they recovered v well but thought I'd give this later approach a go...

29/03/2014 at 07:41

I'll be sowing my outdoor toms mid to late April, they'll live on the kitchen and dining room windowsills until they're too big to fit there, then hopefully it'll be ok for them to go out into the two mini-greenhouses until they burst out of them, when they'll just have to go into big pots on the south-facing terrace. 

29/03/2014 at 07:45

Yeah, pretty much identical to my 2014 plan dovefromabove!

29/03/2014 at 09:10

Haven't sown any toms yet - probably next week. Same as Dove - windowsills till they go out into a plastic growhouse where they will stay. We get very few nights through the summer that have a high enough temperature even if it's warm enough through the day. Had a great crop last year -  I expect the lovely summer helped!

email image
16 messages