London (change)
Today 18°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 57 messages
06/01/2013 at 14:45

Ive got quite a few Tulip & Daffodil bulbs left over that I didnt get around to planting last Autumn. They have been stored indoors in a cardboard box, and are in good condition.

Is it too late to plant them out into tubs? If so, will they keep till this Autumn?

06/01/2013 at 14:47

They will not keep-they are not like seeds-they will just dry up and rot away

You may as well pant them now and see what you get-but they will be late flowering

06/01/2013 at 14:49

is late to plant them for flowering,plant for next year.

06/01/2013 at 14:51
flowering rose wrote (see)

is late to plant them for flowering,plant for next year.

Eh???-bulbs will not keep!!-they need to go in the ground-not sure what you mean?

06/01/2013 at 14:51

Ok, so I could plant them into pots now, and they will grow but not flower. But they may flower next year?

06/01/2013 at 14:53

They will probably flower this year-the embryo flower is already in the bulb.

06/01/2013 at 14:55
Put them in. Nothing to loose, everything to gain! Worth a try.
06/01/2013 at 14:56

Hi

Best time to plant tulips is December, so they will flower great this year is you can plant them now!  Only a week into January so go for it!

06/01/2013 at 15:07

I have found bulbs that have been overlooked in the past.  Plant them - now!  They will flower, albeit a bit later than it says on the packet.  But they should perform for the spring season - but will wither if you keep them unplanted.

Best advice after flowering is to dead-head them and then to give them a good foliar feed and allow the foliage to die down naturally.  Then lift and dry the bulbs (if you can't leave them where they are) and remember to plant them at a more appropriate time in the autumn!

Oh, and if you lift them and store for next season - it's quite a good idea to remove dried foliage and pop the bulbs into old tights/stockings and hang them up somewhere cool - the air can circulate, and they're out of the way in a cool garage, for example.  And don't forget to label them.  (If you can't remember the name, then label them as "pink/med. height/April" for example).  You may think you'll remember what they were.  But then, you may have a better memory than I have . . . . .

06/01/2013 at 15:12

I'd expect flowers this year as long as they get planted. Being of a thrifty (mean?) nature I've often bought bulbs for next to nothing long after they should have been planted. They may flower a bit late but they often do with our interesting weather. Get them in there before the ground freezes. 

06/01/2013 at 15:38

Tulips in particular will be fine. Daffs may not do so well, but should bulk up nicely for the following spring, ie 014.

I noticed a lot of half price bulbs at a GC this last week- am still thinking..... J.

06/01/2013 at 15:56
06/01/2013 at 16:07

go for it jo4eyes. But they should be even less than half price now

06/01/2013 at 16:12
Hi All,
New owner of a cottage garden. I is south facing all day. Noticed there a lot of sad tired looking rose bushes. You anyone suggest that I replant a rose or new species? Just started a compost bin and leaf mould black bin bag . So hope to enrich the soil before then. Any suggestions ?
Many thanks in advance e

Kind 557
06/01/2013 at 16:20

Hi kins557:  best advice forall new owners of gardens is to make haste slowly!  You should wait to see what the roses are like - they may be "tired loooking" right now - but a bit of a good prune and a feed and you may be pleasantly surprised next summer.  If you do decide to replace them - don't plant new roses where old ones were situated - you need to find a competely new space for them.

Give it time for the new compost to come good, and any enrichment of the soil is bound to do it good. 

06/01/2013 at 16:22

kins557, your better starting a new thread or your question will get missed.

Thanks for the advice, Im going to pot them up tomorrow.

06/01/2013 at 16:40

Lead Farmer - let us all know how things turn out!  It's always interesting to learn from others' experiences.

For the record, my "saved" bulbs and corms have been planted into tubs in December.  There's a lot of healthy growth, and I am ever hopeful! 

I love the new shoots - they really are so promising.  Locally (in Minehead, Somerset) there are early-flowering daffs already in full bloom.  Now that's enough to brighten any dreary January day!!!

06/01/2013 at 17:26

Based on this advice, i will also be planting my half-price daffs, tulips, dwarf irises, aliums and scilla into pots tomorrow, unless anyone advises any different? Bought them end Nov at a reputable nursery on the advice of a gardener there - I wanted on-going seasonal, bulb interest in a few pots. She advised me to plant tulips deepest, then the aliums on top, then the daffs, then the scilla (muskari), then the dwarf varieties. I noticed on the "how to" tutorial on this site, though, that daffs should be planted deeper than the tulips (in the same pot) so I'm a bit confused. Was the gardener at the nursery right? Thanks for any tips.

06/01/2013 at 17:36

Why have you left it till now Leorna?

The order in how you plant them is not vital in relation to tulips and the daffodils -depends on when they are due to flower

I would keep it simple based on how deep the bulbs need to be-which is usually twice the height of the bulb-so daffs around six inches or so

Based on that big bulbs near the bottom smaller ones nearer the top

They will sort their own flowering times out.

06/01/2013 at 17:44

Leorna - it depends on the variety (sorry not to have a simple answer!)  Rule of thumb that I use  is about two and a half times the size of the bulb for the depth of planting.  So - for the large daffs, that would probably be a lot deeper than the tulips.  But rockery daffs are smaller - so far less depth (if you see what I mean).

I think I would separate the daffs and tulips for now and see how things work.  Lift and store the bulbs for next year, and plant them a bit earlier, arranging the depth of planting according to the cultivar.  But - if you have unplanted bulbs now, it's a case of "nothing ventured, nothing gained".  In other words - doing nothing means the bulbs will wither and be no use next year.  Planting them now gives you at least a half-decent chance of getting some sort of a result!

1 to 20 of 57 messages