London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
5 messages
19/05/2013 at 17:31

Does anyone know if it's possible to grow Weigela in containers.

I took some cuttings from my daughter's garden last summer which are now in 5 inch pots, growing well and in full flower. The flowers are very pretty and slightly scented, so I would like to have some near the front door. Alas no soil - a gravel drive.

I've seen weigela as hedging so I know it trims well, but I'm not sure about growing it in containers.

19/05/2013 at 17:45

I've grown a variegatedweigeilia for years,in a large terracotta pot about 18" across obviously you won't need a container that large for your seedlings, but it was wn established shrub when I potted it.

I scrape off an inch or so of the compost, replace with fresh and scatter in a handful of dried chicken poo pellets every spring.

19/05/2013 at 18:28

Theoretically you can grow anything in a pot as long as you provide everything that plant needs. For a shrub you will need good compost preferablly John Innes 3 and you will need to feed. As long as the pot is big enough for the plant it should be ok.

19/05/2013 at 21:05

Had my wigelia in a pot for about 5 years,with reg feeding,it is still going strong.

20/05/2013 at 00:18

I shall pot them up with confidence. Thanks.

email image
5 messages