Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What is it?!!

JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

hi guys,

Sorry to ask you all again for plant id's but you are all soooo good at it image

The first & second one is a small evergreen tree with tiny yellow flowers in spring & the third & fourth is a perennial with almost cabbagey type feel leaves (if that makes sence!!)

also if anyone knows what the weed is underneath the tree I would be really grateful as it grows all round here & can never find what it is!! it doesn't flower just loads of heart shaped leaves that spread everywhere with really deep roots! 

Thanks for reading & hope you can help  image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The second one looks like one of the plume poppies, Macleaya cordata or microphylla.

The first one i can't really see properly. Can you do some more pics (unless someone else can ID it). The whole tree, the flowers and leaves, in focus would help image

And the weed

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

I hoped you'd be along soon!! thanks nutcutlet, yes I think you are right about the poppy, I know the picture isn't great it's taken on my phone I will see if I can get another better one when I go tomorrow, it's about 6 ft & lolly pop shaped. & I will get a proper one of just the weed!!

Thanks again image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

see you tomorrow then Tc image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

thank you, wish you could be an app for my phone!! 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

The first looks like a tiny mahonia of some sort and will grow to be a decent evergreen shrub whose leaves go red or bronze for winter.  The flowers should lead to ddep blue berries.

The second is plume poppy, a hardy perennial that can become a thug if you let it spread but is easily controlled..

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato