Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What's my name?

Hi there

Can someone please name the bush in the picture for me? I seem to have lost the label it came with.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like it. It's grown wherever I've put it and doesn't have tantrums

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks both

It looks a bit straggly at the moment so I've tried taking a couple of cuttings with the intentions of replacing it for next year.

Chiad Fhear

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

You can trim it after it's finished flowering to tidy it up a bit, or you can cut it right hard back in April, down to six inches or so and it will rejuvenate.  You'll lose the flowers for that one year if you do that, but a lot of people just grow it for the foliage image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hi again

It's quite a tall bush - about 6 feet - and I've had a look through a gardening encyclopaedia I got many, many moons ago and can't identify it there with the names given. I've taken a couple more pictures ...

Chiad Fhear

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Brachyglottis, formerly Senecio, 'Sunshine'image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks for that - query solved!

Chiad Fhear

PS The Gardening Encyclopaedia dates back to the mid 1960's and was compiled in weekly installments. It's quite a tome!

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 627

If it's 1960's you'll have difficulty finding half the stuff available in garden centres today !  Every time I think I've got to grips with the proper naming of plants they are changed .

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

And so many new plants have been introduced too.   I have the 1989 RHS Encyclopedia and that's hopelessly out of date not just with names but with the old hardiness classifications system.

Now I check things online on the RHS and other websites or on here.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Rainey467Rainey467 Posts: 7

My neighbour has this plant growing as a hedge, not surprised its a classed as a weed in New Zealand, the snails love it, walking down the path at night can be very crunchy if you don't have a torch