Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What's wrong with my rhododendron?

Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Please can anyone advise what's wrong with my rhododendron? It looks sad. I thought maybe it just needed a drink but that doesn't seem to have made a difference image

imageimage

This was it this time last year in comparison...

Is there anything I can do to help it?

Thanks in advance

• Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Ooh, thanks Verdun! I've not tried repotting it - it's still in the pot it was in when I bought it last April. Will give that a go image

How much bigger would you recommend When potting on?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi Lena. Rhododendrons move easily but I would wait until the flowers finish. Go for a pot 1 to 2 sizes bigger and use an ericaceous compost when you repot. Make sure the root ball is at the same depth in the new pot as it was in the old one. It looks beautiful!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Thanks Ladybird. I'm not sure it will flower this year as the buds don't look like they have formed properly on it. Think I might try potting it up in the hope of it recovering and flowering next year.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated image

Thanks for the tip Verdun, will do image

• KornoKorno Posts: 99

Wow that pot does look too small, It's done quite well :)

Thanks! It's currently in a 5 litre pot, would you go up to a 10 litre pot or is that too big? 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

That is not too big Lena - go for it.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable