Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

When to plant new clematis?

MunzleMunzle Posts: 15

I bought a couple of Clematis Montana plants yesterday and haven't put them in yet - if we're supposed to be having an overnight frost this week should I wait before I put them in?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I had a huge montana killed by a late frost that did for all its new buds and shoots one year so it may be a good idea to put them outside in the daytime but put them somewhere sheltered from frost for a few nights till they've hardened off a bit.

When you do plant them, dig the hole at least 4 to 6 inches deeper than the pot they're in, water them thoroughly and then back fill with plenty of garden compost or bought soil improver plus some proprietray clematis food granules as clematis are hungry and thirsty plants.   Burying them deep encourages extra shoots to form so you get more flowers.

Every spring, give them another feed of clematis food and a liquid tonic of tomato or rose food to get them going.  Prune them after flowering in spring but only to keep them in bounds and encourage flower buds to form lower down for next year.  Montanas are very vigorous when happy so give them plenty of space to grow. 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • MunzleMunzle Posts: 15

Wow - speedy and extra information too! That's really useful - thank you image

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

http://www.britishclematis.org.uk/Planting.htm  hi Munzle i got this from the Clamatis society if it helps