London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
01/02/2014 at 15:45

I'm trying to move away from mainly bedding plants in my garden, and have more shrubs/perennials. Just been waylaid by the J Parker's special offers... have ordered a Hebe "heartbreaker", an astilbe, a euonymus and a euphorbia "bonfire", not to mention the nandina "Gulf Stream" I bought last week... Did I also mention that I have my eye on a mahonia and a daphne? God knows where they are all going to go....

So what plants are you eyeing up this year?

01/02/2014 at 15:51

Avoid Parkers like the plague.  Or if you want to take a chance read the posts on this board first.

Or maybe you are a Parkers charm offensive trying to counteract the negative feed-back on the site.

01/02/2014 at 16:15

Hi Bex, I too would like a hebe. Not sure where I'd put it. I'm sure I could find a spot. Just have to create more beds 

01/02/2014 at 16:25

Are Parker's rubbish then? I just got distracted by the catalogue....

01/02/2014 at 16:29

4thPanda, I had a gorgeous hebe by my front door. It was getting a bit big, so my OH took it upon himself to rip it out whilst I was at work one day... Was not a happy bunny!

01/02/2014 at 16:42

Grrrr I wouldn't be a happy bunny either  Luckily my OH is far too lazy to do something like that  

01/02/2014 at 17:22

I like things a bit overgrown. Borderline wilderness. Though I have strayed over the border this last couple of years.

01/02/2014 at 17:29

I'm looking for a witch hazel Pallida, and a shrub recommended on GQT called a disanthus.  Has anyone used Jacksons nurseries near Stoke ??

01/02/2014 at 17:53

Yes it is my local GC & I use it very often. Always been happy with purchases. Never used mail order though

01/02/2014 at 18:05

I have always bought from J Parkers and have never had any problems, have just bought blueberries and raspberry canes and plants, one blueberry plant arrived yesterday and in perfect condition.  Depends on the individual as to what problems they have had, but I will continue to buy from them!!.

01/02/2014 at 18:14

I had to google Disanthus, chicky, very nice. Pity about the acid or neutral soil. It wouldn't get that here.

It does depend on your experience Susan. 

01/02/2014 at 18:23

Gill - many thanks for your thoughts on Jacksons - think i will give them a go.

Nut - we are very acid here, so should be ok.  However, they don't seem to be that easy to find - think i will have to wait til spring when some of the nurseries restock for the year.

01/02/2014 at 18:55

Bex,

Dont buy shrubs from parkers.  They will be tiny pathetic things.  bulbs are fine.  Not perennials, shrubs etc.

Jacksons are good...I,have ordered from them before and had good size plants.

Check out the thread on good  online nurseries.  There are some excellent suppliers out there.

Sorry bex to be so forceful but buy plants in good  size pots .....none of those plants are unusual or costly

01/02/2014 at 20:01
01/02/2014 at 20:05
Are they really that bad? Suppose it's too late to cancel the order now...
01/02/2014 at 20:09

Bex- I bought 2 Hebe Heartbreakers from Jacksons last year- both really nice plants, lovely colour .one for myself and the other I planted in my daughter'a gravel garden, where it looks great. They both had a bit of a dodgy time in the very cold spell about last March,but heeding advice from this forum they recovered beautifully. If it's a decent day tomorrow I am actually planning a little trip to Jacksons as they have 20% discount through February. I fancy a Mahonia and maybe Hammamelis( sorry can't spell

01/02/2014 at 21:13

I've been hooked on Geum's the last couple of years...got some gorgeous reds, orange and yellows, after losing so many bedding plants to slugs I decided to go with the perennial/shrub route...but now hubby has dug a big hole in the grass and plonked a Koi pond there and pinched some of my flowerbed to put the waterfall in...okay I'll admit it does look rather pretty now but what to plant along the side? It's got two tiers so approx 5ft drop to the pond with about 1ft bare bed.  I'm stumped as to what to plant there. OH doesn't want leaves etc., 'cluttering up his pond':/ Any ideas?

01/02/2014 at 22:41

If it's just beside the pond and not  overly boggy, consider a dierama.  Wonderful reflections in the water.  Astlbes, ferns, acteas for leaf colour and structure.

For simplicity and evergreen foliage and nice blue sprimg flowers how about vinca major Variegata?

Bex, cancel parkers.   Look, when your plants arrive from them you will know what most of us are talking about.

Check out Paddocks Plants.  Excellent quality for about £4 in 2 litre or bigger pots.  

01/02/2014 at 23:10

4thPanda, I had a gorgeous hebe by my front door. It was getting a bit big, so my OH took it upon himself to rip it out whilst I was at work one day... Was not a happy bunny!

02/02/2014 at 08:42

Bex

He be a naughty boy ........good eh?  

Oops, I'll get my coat...........

1 to 20 of 26 messages