London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
10/07/2014 at 19:41

Dear Forum Members,

I was mooching around my brother’s garden which is a lovely established English garden featuring many different rose bushes.

I sniffed one bright pink rose and the rosey smell was SO pungent that it nearly floored me I was so shocked! I have never smelt anything like it. It is bright pink, single colour, and to my inexperienced eyes, looked like a ‘classic’ sort of rose (I suspect this isn’t very helpful!) Needless to say that my brother has no idea of the variety.

Do any of you, who are into your roses, know of a particularly strong smelling variety which comes in bright pink?!

Forgive me, I know very little about roses! This one was a stunner. I hope to take cuttings at some point.

Many thanks,

The Grateful Deadhead

10/07/2014 at 19:45

Any chance of a photo GD? (click on tree icon above your text to upload a pic)  Did you work out if it is a climber or not? No need to apologise for not being knowledgeable about roses; what I don't know would fill a large garden

10/07/2014 at 19:49

Sadly I didn't take a photo. He lives 200 miles away from me. It is definitely not a climber but is a freestanding bush about 1.5 metres high. I am cautious about bothering him to take a photo of it as my sister-in-law is sick in hospital and he is a babbling incoherent right now

10/07/2014 at 19:52

GD, am very sorry to hear about your sister-in-law, hope she recovers soon.

I will try to remember to 'bump' your question so it doesn't go to the end of the line then someone else may guess what rose it is. There are some very knowledgeable people on here

10/07/2014 at 21:12

Try Gertrude Jekyll, sold by David Austin.

10/07/2014 at 23:35
Forgive me. I am a Rosarian. I would never attempt to identify a rose or any other plants, from a mere description. It is fatal.
10/07/2014 at 23:41
Sorry. Just to illustrate. I have in my collection. Rosa Deep Secret. HT. Blooms of deep scarlet, strong fragrance etc. My specimem has already flowered. Now it has produced it's second flush. Might I describe it. HT. Strong vibrant growth. Blooms, medium to large. Colour. Light pink. Scent. moderate. Now friends. Plunp togeter both descriptions. Miles apart. Yet the same rose.
10/07/2014 at 23:56

True, true. But you can't deny that Gertie is a very fragrant, bright pink rose.

11/07/2014 at 00:29

Hmm. Thank you for your feedbacks/suggestions so far. I feel that my failure to take a photo of this rose has not helped matters and I shall try to have one taken of the rose which might help settle this issue once and for all!! 

It might take me a while so please bear with me.

The Grateful Deadhead

11/07/2014 at 02:00
I'm no rose expert but I recently bought a Gertrude Jekyll and it does have a lovely 'classic English rose' fragrance and look but I agree, a pic is really needed for the pros on here.
11/07/2014 at 06:04

When taking your photo, please include pics of foliage and the shape of the buds and semi-open blooms - all can be helpful. 

I do hope your SIL is better soon. 

11/07/2014 at 06:08

I wonder if it could be an old-fashioned damask rose?

11/07/2014 at 06:58

Could try a rose seller's website. Eg apuldrum.co.uk can use advanced search to search by type of rose, strength of fragrance, colour etc.  then once you've narrowed it down use the internet in general to search for more pictures to see if you can identify.

now got a vision of a garden with many many pink roses as you keep attempting to buy the "one" !

11/07/2014 at 07:03

Can't get anywhere with that link Snoodle 

This site has a similar search facility http://www.classicroses.co.uk/ 

11/07/2014 at 07:09

Here's my Gertrude Jekyll, if that helps - certainly a strong scent (heavenly)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52161.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

12/07/2014 at 22:32

Just seen all these amazing replies. I'll come back to you on this as soon as I have a photo (foliage included). Please bear with me.

Thank you to everybody!

The Grateful Deadhead

12/07/2014 at 22:38

If it's Gertrude Jekyll GDH then it is an amazing rose, I'm not an owner of one yet but hope to be soon, I hope your SIL is better soon.

12/07/2014 at 22:49

Here is a page of pink roses from David Austin, so you see identifying, even with a photo, is difficult.  http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/american/searchlist.asp  Sorry, had a look and all the pink roses that were on that page have gone, don't know how to delete reply. 

13/07/2014 at 06:55
Typo in mine above. Should have been apuldramroses.co.uk.
13/07/2014 at 06:58

I'll put it in as a link Snoodle http://www.apuldramroses.co.uk/ .  

Not a nursery I know - interesting 

1 to 20 of 24 messages