London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
7 messages
02/04/2012 at 10:56

I had a honeysuckle for many years. It grew very vigorously producing hundreds of buds but not one flower. Eventually I dug it up.

I am about to plant a new honeysuckle. Can anyone explain why the first honeysuckle never flowered? What, if anything, did I do wrong? And some advice on planting this new plant to avoid what happened the first time.  Thanks. 

23/07/2013 at 21:44
Thats the same with me and I am thinking of pulling it out, it climbs to a height of 10 feet but no flowers and then I cut it back down to 5 feet in Winter, I wish I knew what the problem was and sorry I cant give you a reason for it
23/07/2013 at 22:31

Honeysuckles do not like to dry out too much...billyC, before you dig up old plant consider if your soil is a bit dry there.  Another honeysuckle is,likely to do the same.  I think lack of water is the problem

23/07/2013 at 22:46

I struggle to grow honeysuckle but it grows well in a neighbours garden.

I had two plants one old the other new, the old one was planted in shade the other in partial sun. The one in shade died this year, the other is producing flower buds but some of the leaves have developed black spots and other leaves go yellow and die. I don't know  why?

23/07/2013 at 23:00

They are pretty similiar to clematis in the conditions they like. A rich fertile soil well mulched and not too dry, as Verdun said, with their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun. Add blood fish and bone in spring to encourage flowers.

24/07/2013 at 12:24

Also Lonicera japonica is notorious for growing like mad and never flowering. Go for a good form of Lonicera perclymenum such as Graham Thomas

25/07/2013 at 07:21

email image
7 messages