Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

WILDFLOWER

RAGDOLL520RAGDOLL520 Posts: 23

Hi everyone, I don't no wether I'm in the right place or not.  I have a beautiful wild flower in my back garden. It is very prickly on the stems and leaves and has clusters of beautiful pinky blue flowers on it. I am sure I have seen it on either gardeners world or A - Z of gardening and am not sure if its poisionous. I remember they said that only a certain insect can go on it as the prickles stop other insects from climbing it.  I would love to know the name of it. If it's poisionous as I have 2 dogs and 5 cats. I don't want to get rid of it and would love it to spread round the garden.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hi Ragdoll image Could you take a photo of it - of the whole plant, and the flowers and the leaves - to post photos on here you click on the little pic of the tree on the toolbar above where you post your message and follow the instructionsimage

In the meantime don't worry too much about your pets - most have much too much sense to eat something that pricklyimage even if they don't seem to image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• RAGDOLL520RAGDOLL520 Posts: 23

Hi Dove,  I will take one on my phone

Hmm, don't know if they load from phones - they might do - you might be cleverer than me - or have a more up to date phone image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• RAGDOLL520RAGDOLL520 Posts: 23

Hi Dove, these are the pictures of wildflowers my ladybirds are on and a rock next to them with some lava and photo of lava thats due to hatch, also wildflower with prickly stems which I want to know what it is.

ragdoll

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's Borage  - with the blue/pink 'star' flowers - ragdoll. Lovely pix!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

The 2nd two are borage, which is edible. You can put the flowers in water in ice cube trays and have pretty ice cubes. I'm afraid the first two are a bit too blury for me to see properly.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Yes, three and four are borage - bees love them, pick the flowers and put in  your Pimms! image

The first two look like a type of lamium, but too blurry to identify properly, sorry.

• What a lovely plant! Will have to try that in my wildflower garden

next year! Great photos too.