London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
6 messages
31/12/2013 at 16:03

Help!  These things are taking over my life.  I've no house plants that could be giving shelter to this.  Is it normal for them to try overwintering in houses?  It was alive and well and half way up a door frame

31/12/2013 at 16:33

It seems not to be uncommon behaviour  http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/insects-and-invertebrates/76068-weevils-my-house-2.html

Have you brought any Christmas greenery into the house?

31/12/2013 at 20:54

Not caught any this year, but I found  few at my kitchen window last winter. Double glazing has enough ventilation to allow them to enter. They do like some house plants and will lay eggs if it suits them in house plants.

01/01/2014 at 00:46

Do you have any window boxes or containers close to the house? It has been mild and they may well be seeking shelter through open doors or windows.

01/01/2014 at 01:06

Well, I don't have any house plants other than an orchid bought recently.  I do have pots close to the house though.  Right next to a double glazed window Put there for shelter.

01/01/2014 at 10:29

I live in an old stone farmhouse in France and we always have some in the house, along with shield beetles (or stink bugs), ladybirds and spiders. Just a fact of life you get used to. Makes me laugh when I see the horror on people's faces when they see insects indoors on programmes like "Four in a Bed" on TV!

email image
6 messages