London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
3 messages
08/05/2012 at 10:48

The bark on the bottom 2 ft of my Apple tree is peeling off, there's baby woodlice & earwigs under the dead bark, the peeling bark does appear to be moving up the tree too.  Last yr my dad ' kindly' strimmed around the base, something I never do, and perhaps he damaged it?  The base is quite unstable too, my daughter used to climb on it but I stopped her last yr as you can push the tree, its only around 3m high, its still flowering and seems healthy apart from the bottom 2 ft! I really don't want to lose it, has anyone any advice for me???

08/05/2012 at 11:31

It sounds as though the strimming did damage the bark. The real issue is whether the damage runs all the way round - if so, I'm afraid that the tree will not recover. The instability also points the same way, but also suggests that the tree may have already had a problem before the strimming.

If the bark is gone all around the tree, I'm afraid there's no way of saving it.

09/05/2012 at 14:06

Thank you. I had a closer look last night and it does appear to have gone all the way round   Well I suppose all I can hope for is a final crop of apples.

email image
3 messages