Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Are slugs still about?

Hello all,

Sorry I don't have a photo, but something is nibbling my early shoots of my Blue Hobbits and Sea Holly, and also leaves of my Veronica Hybrid (Spike type). Are they slugs and snails still active,, because it's mild? I cant think what else would be eating them? I have never had slugs attack the Veronica and I've had them for 4 yrs so I was surprised to find most of the leaves gone. Any ideas?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Something is eating plants here as well. last year half my hellebores lost their heads and this year some corydalis, a large dandelion and assorted other perennials have been nibbled. I suspect mammal. I haven't decided which one yet. Last year I thought muntjac, but I'm not sure I'm right.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

It's been so mild that yes, slugs and snails could be active now.  I shall be scattering a few wildlife friendly slug pellets near any young shoots, including bulbs, that have been encouraged to grow by the warmth.    You'll need to do it regularly until late May - scatter thinly and repeat after rain - to get them as they emerge from hibernation or hatch from eggs and before they manage to munch your treasures or breed and make the problem even worse.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • We don't get any deer around here it's too urban and the back garden in totally enclosed, I hope you find out what it is getting your plants, Nut.  

Where do you get you wildlife friendly slug pellets from Obelixx, I tried some a few years ago and they just dissolved in the first rain we had. I used beer traps last year and they worked well, but it's been too wet to put them out.

• Slugs and snails are most definitely about and their babies are loving the mild weather.... My hellibore babies are being munched like madimage

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Perhaps you could put the pellets under cover - a container with an open side facing away from the worst of the weather, or under evergreen shrubs/hedging. That way, they might last long enough to do the job. I don't use them myself, but with the amount of rain we've had this year I expect you'd be out every couple of hours replacing them!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Oh no. We need some good frosty weather.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

MM - I'm in Belgium so I buy a brand called ESCAR-GO! which is quite amusing.  In the UK I think they're called Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Ooh that is a good name, I shall investigate, thank you.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Yes. Or at least *something* is out there. My Swiss Chard that had been happily growing away producing such beautiful colours now looks like its been shot at with an air rifle there's so many holes in the leafs. I also found a caterpillar type bug a few weeks ago merrily grazing in the garden!

• They are still out there nibbling and if they get the chance they are in the kitchen! but even with the deluge of rain they are still about .image