London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
12 messages
07/05/2013 at 10:25

Yesterday i noticed a few bees flying down to near where i was sat and going under my patio.  They appeared to have dug themselves a tunnel and setting up home. 

I've only seen upto 3 bees at once so the colony may not be big but they keep coming back and forth down the same hole.  

With me having young children i need to get rid of these..... and i want to do it myself and not get someone round to do it for me

any suggestions?

07/05/2013 at 10:49

Contact your local bee-keeping society for advice

07/05/2013 at 10:59

If they are honey bees then maybe they would sting, but other wise the majority of bees either do not or cannot sting humans.

07/05/2013 at 11:05

They look like honey bees, but i dont what other varieties look similar.  Just need to get rid.....

i've blocked the entrance to their nest and now there are a few fly round trying to get back in.  I guess the majority in the nest will dig out.  I'll see if there are any local societies who can help me out.

07/05/2013 at 13:36

I know your children are very precious but bees really are too - especially now. Please unblock the entrance to the nest for the moment & just keep the kids away from the area for a bit until you have explored all other options.

I think your local beekeepers might be here http://www.yorkbeekeepers.com/  In my experience these types of groups are always happy to give good free advice and help whenever possible.  If I've got the wrong area just try Googling your town / district with 'beekeeping'.

Good luck 

07/05/2013 at 13:58

Will do topbird, the bees are keeping themselves to themselves so ill unblock and seek further advice. 

thanks for the link

07/05/2013 at 14:03

Bees aren't aggressive. If a child trod on one it may sting but it could do that wherever it lived. Treat them with consideration and teach the kids to do the same. The world is full of things that might possibly, maybe, hurt but they can't all be eliminated for our immediate benefit. In the long term it wouldn't be for our benefit

07/05/2013 at 14:30

Hi. I had the same concern last year when some bees nested on our patio. I have verysmall children who are afraid of bees (not too keen myself!!). However we soon realised that they were not aggressive at all and when we investigated further itbecame very apparent that they were very rare bees. The whole family becamequite excited andpay eight year old kept a bee diary. My 11 year old did lots of research and found about the terrible decline of bees in England and the devastating effects that this could potentially have.  Inow have two children who are very enthusiastic bee watchers and campaigners. We are off to visit a bee keeper next week!

So please, think of it as an opportunity for your children. We are really glad we did.

07/05/2013 at 21:11

07/05/2013 at 21:17

Nicely put Ziminuk.

07/05/2013 at 21:40

i've managed to get in touch with a couple of bee keepers and both say its highly unlikely they will be honey bees if they are living under ground. More likely solitary bees.  So persuading them to relocate would be a no no.

One of them also advised i keep young children away

07/05/2013 at 21:49

I had a colony of bees make their home in a large tub a couple of years ago.I have no idea what they were..must look out some photos i took... but from google images they looked like digger bees? We just left them to it and though we walked past them and disturbed them many times, they ignored us.

We're losing too many species of wildlife so Bagz,if at all possible,make it a no go area for a while.They'll soon be gone.

email image
12 messages