Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

bugs!!!!!

Hi, ive recently purchased my first house and decided to make a flower/plant bed. I planted cordyline, azalea, spurge Ascot rainbow. Daisies, pansies, lillies and primroses. I chose all these purely because I liked the looj of them. I had a lot of problems with bugs, slugs, greenfly, red lily beetles (which caused me constant headaches) caterpillars and some white bugs in the roots. Being new to gardening I researched one problem at a time and tried to eliminate it. Basically all the bug problems seem to be on the flowers rather than the shrubs and I was hoping people could advise on some flowers that dont attract pests as I dont get a lot of gardening time. The pansies I planted where fantastic and are still going strong although the primrose where disappointing, and the lillies where a nightmare due to the beetles. Any advise would be great thanks.

• Hi edd, ill try and give you ad much info as possible, I have a south facing garden, bed is at the end of it, ill attatch a pic but might be from a month or so ago. I planted everything in april. I dug out about a foot of heavy clay soil and filled it with bags of compost and fertilizer.
  • Still trying to work out how to attach a picture.. haha
  • I wish, its only a small garden, approx 25ft x 20ft. The bed is built with a 6ft high wall at the back of it. It has partial sun from 8am until 11am, then full sun until 5pm at present. I still cant figure out how to upload a photo. Thanks
  • Ah cheers for that, will upload a photo from laptop tomorrow