Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bulbs

hello, a few weeks back I bought some lovely large glazed ceramic pots and filled them with Asiatic Lily bulbs. They have been slow to get going because of the cooler, wet early summer. However I noticed one or two trying to pop their little heads above the compost last week but to my dismay this weekend, one of the pots had a gaping hold in the compost and a whole bulb has been taken. Now I know the Jackdaws and Magpies which are very widespread around where I live often dig around and fling the compost all over the patio image but for the life of me I cannot work out what has eaten the bulb. this is not the first time that this has happened, a little while back I noticed that one of my hostas in a very large pot had a gaping hole down the side of the compost !!!

not sure what's going on here but maybe someone will have an idea ???

thanks for your help

xx     

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Squirrels!

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184

...or it could be a badger or we have had foxes burying hens eggs down the sides of pots before!

You could always use some galvanised metal [with suitably sized] mesh cut to fit your pot and position it just under the surface of the soil to give you a bit of extra protection...

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Squirrels

• shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

thanks for the replies but we definitely don't have squirrels or badgers (too urbanised). could it be foxes ???  do they eat bulbs ??? always thought bulbs were poisonous !!!

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

foxes do steal bulbs, i had loads taken, squirrels do too but we don't get squirrels here, i sprinkled some old spices inc chilli on the ground and they stopped, i had one plant go missing and in it's place was a slice of old bread image cheers foxy