Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

buried snails

I keep finding snails half buried in the garden. At first I ignored them thinking that they were empty shells left by the birds, until I lifted one the other day and found a nice fat snail attached to a big mass of white eggs! It was obviously in the middle of laying her brood in the soil of one of my pots! So I am now going round the garden looking as closely as possible for more doing the same. Now I'm all for procreation... but I think there are enough snails around in my garden this year without making more!

• You'll be busy, Doris!

Joe

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Snails are both he and she, but need each other to make babies, attaching by a tube on their sides...nice ain't it image

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

Mmmm! Thanks wintersong for that bit of knowledge! Trouble is I don't like destroying snails and slugs by squashing. Anyone got a kind way of disposing of them? I bagged some up the other day and put them in the dustbin sack just before they were collected. Plenty of waste matter for them to get their teeth into up at the dump! I'm a softie at heart you see.

• I am having similar problems with slugs and thought my remedy would be a resident hedgehog but a friend has just advised me to install a mini pond to attract frogs and wildlife and this should sort out my problem with the slugs I'm not sure about snails with shells though but good luck.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436
    diggingdoris wrote (see)

I bagged some up the other day and put them in the dustbin sack just before they were collected. Plenty of waste matter for them to get their teeth into up at the dump! I'm a softie at heart you see.

Well you are being kind if they can get out of the bag, otherwise its slow starvation and suffocation inside the bin linerimage

To be kind, I guillotine them really quick with my secateurs. Sacrebleu!

• tattiannatattianna Posts: 182
    est the quest wrote (see)

I am having similar problems with slugs and thought my remedy would be a resident hedgehog but a friend has just advised me to install a mini pond to attract frogs and wildlife and this should sort out my problem with the slugs I'm not sure about snails with shells though but good luck.

We have a pond & lots of frogs and I must say we haven't seen many slugs this year at all. Just wish I could say the same about the snails!

• I put them in with the weeds etc that i put in the council recycling bag.Its collected once a week but i stilll find loads in the garden. They are everywhere.

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

Oh no I don't tie the bag up, they'd never get out! I just want them to live at the council tip and not in my garden!

Oh wintersong how could you!

• cutiecutie Posts: 9

Haha so entertaining reading that , unfortunately I'm not so kind they cost me way too much over the years. Just hope I do not come back as one, good luck with the snail trail everyone, they are loving this weather.

• LORELEILORELEI Posts: 128
    I have a special slug knife (an old kitchen knife), and just slice them in half. All over in a flash !