London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
28/06/2012 at 13:29

I keep finding snails half buried in the garden. At first I ignored them thinking that they were empty shells left by the birds, until I lifted one the other day and found a nice fat snail attached to a big mass of white eggs! It was obviously in the middle of laying her brood in the soil of one of my pots! So I am now going round the garden looking as closely as possible for more doing the same. Now I'm all for procreation... but I think there are enough snails around in my garden this year without making more!

28/06/2012 at 14:17

You'll be busy, Doris!

Joe

28/06/2012 at 16:53

Snails are both he and she, but need each other to make babies, attaching by a tube on their sides...nice ain't it

28/06/2012 at 17:22

Mmmm! Thanks wintersong for that bit of knowledge! Trouble is I don't like destroying snails and slugs by squashing. Anyone got a kind way of disposing of them? I bagged some up the other day and put them in the dustbin sack just before they were collected. Plenty of waste matter for them to get their teeth into up at the dump! I'm a softie at heart you see.

28/06/2012 at 17:42

I am having similar problems with slugs and thought my remedy would be a resident hedgehog but a friend has just advised me to install a mini pond to attract frogs and wildlife and this should sort out my problem with the slugs I'm not sure about snails with shells though but good luck.

28/06/2012 at 17:46
diggingdoris wrote (see)

I bagged some up the other day and put them in the dustbin sack just before they were collected. Plenty of waste matter for them to get their teeth into up at the dump! I'm a softie at heart you see.

Well you are being kind if they can get out of the bag, otherwise its slow starvation and suffocation inside the bin liner

To be kind, I guillotine them really quick with my secateurs. Sacrebleu!

28/06/2012 at 19:46
est the quest wrote (see)

I am having similar problems with slugs and thought my remedy would be a resident hedgehog but a friend has just advised me to install a mini pond to attract frogs and wildlife and this should sort out my problem with the slugs I'm not sure about snails with shells though but good luck.

We have a pond & lots of frogs and I must say we haven't seen many slugs this year at all. Just wish I could say the same about the snails!

29/06/2012 at 11:36

I put them in with the weeds etc that i put in the council recycling bag.Its collected once a week but i stilll find loads in the garden. They are everywhere.

29/06/2012 at 14:26

Oh no I don't tie the bag up, they'd never get out! I just want them to live at the council tip and not in my garden!

Oh wintersong how could you!

01/07/2012 at 17:49

Haha so entertaining reading that , unfortunately I'm not so kind they cost me way too much over the years. Just hope I do not come back as one, good luck with the snail trail everyone, they are loving this weather.

01/07/2012 at 23:23
I have a special slug knife (an old kitchen knife), and just slice them in half. All over in a flash !
02/07/2012 at 10:14

I used to live in the midlands, and regularly had a song thrush that would find snails in Mum's garden, and bash them repeatedly against the rockery to get to the snail inside.

I haven't even SEEN a song thrush in my garden, we get plenty of sparrows, have a nesting pair of blackbirds, collared doves, the odd starling and magpie (the last two I evict whenever I see them).  I did see a woodpecker a few weeks ago, and what I think may have been a sparrowhawk (came and went in a flash).

As for slugs, I think the two resident frogs eat all mine (thank goodness), as I've not seen that many in the back garden this year, and from everyone else's posts, I understand they're everywhere this year.  Snails I stomp on with my big wellies and leave for the birds to clear up. 

02/07/2012 at 11:14
I'm not so bad with slugs and snails this year but I just can't keep them off my dahlias. Probably the most expensive plant in my garden. I have Pom Pom dahlias and I would love to see them flower. Anyone got any ideas for the high end snails and slugs? I have done pellets and powders and stood pulling them off but once they're there they have done the damage. Any remedies, potions ect would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
02/07/2012 at 11:27

Copper collars round the base of the plants.  It does work, honestly.  My sister in law has been using them with great effect in her vegetable garden, they seem costly but do last virtually for ever so can be re-used time and time again. 

I grow around 65 different hostas in pots and nearly gave the collection  up a few years ago because of snail/slug damage, until I was told about copper tape around the pots, it really has mde a huge difference.  Even in this wet weather, there is little damage done by snails ans slugs, though there are always a few which crawl up the wet and drooping leaves, but the majority which climb the pots just do not pass the copper.

02/07/2012 at 11:30
Anything is worth a try at this stage. I'm off to the garden centre. Thank you.
03/07/2012 at 09:56

Think i better fork [ ha ha] out for the copper collars. Mum swears by vaseline around the pots, a bit gooey but its worth a try.

03/07/2012 at 10:36

Tried vaseline, WD40, eggshells, grit, porridge oats etc., copper beats them all - this wet weather the larger hosta leaves do droop to the ground and the slugs can crawl up them, but still they are far better than they used to be.

03/07/2012 at 12:09

I suppose the kindest way is to drown them in beer, but I favour patrols with a pair of scissors and a quick beheading. It can't be very pleasant being eaten by a bird!!! Will invest in the copper, though, for the really vulnerable plants. Might even be worth growing Delphiniums again!

03/07/2012 at 23:43

I give them to my Chickens.  They love them as a bit of a treat.  Do you know anyone with Hens that would appreciate them?

04/07/2012 at 08:50

Like any treat, though, they shouldn't over-indulge. Too many slugs gives my chickens the runs!

1 to 20 of 35 messages