Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

C grubs in pots

Just checking plants in greenhouse and the begonia had c grubs, is this vine weevil,?image I have emptied them out and picked out all I could see, is that all to do as the corms are dormant . I have emptied the compost onto one of my veg raised beds will that be ok? I was checking for slugs and snails and found none is that what they call Ying and Yangimage

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Yes it's vine weevil, water with nematodes asap.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

They tend to burrow into the corms... you can tell if they are there or not as they leave holes. You need to poke something into it to kill them or throw the corm away.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Hi Primrosecottage! 

Dunno about Yin & Yang, but yes, C-shaped grubs in pots (creamy white with brown heads) are vine weevil I'm afraid.  If you've removed all the grubs from the compost it should be ok on your veg beds.  Make sure you check your begonia tubers all over for grubs - they often eat corms & tubers from underneath.  Repot in fresh compost if the tubers are ok.  When the weather warms up you can use nematodes against vine weevil if you see evidence of them elsewhere in your pots - they love cyclamen, primroses and strawberries particularly, but lots of things are susceptible.  I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to squashing things, but I do try to make myself stamp on the adult weevils...  image

Good luck!

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • Thanks for your advice. I have never used nematode but were thinking about it for slugs.  My mind is made up now for both.image  yes L I'm also a bit of a queasy I chucked them in the dyke hoping they can't swim image

• What should I do with the soil if not on the garden? Shall I water it with vine weevil killer?

• WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575

They'ra also very partial to lily tubers/ corms, so I'd oick any old compost + grubs out for the birds & repot the lilies in new, clean material.