Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can someone identify these garden pests foir me please?

Hi,

I don't claim to be a great gardener, and these are probably some common pests that you all deal with before they get as bad as these.

They have attacked mu Lupins, and a couple of plants below them. At first the flowers were large spikes, and healthy and the second lot were coming through as the first died off.

The second lot of flowers sopikes have stayed quite small, and when I went out to dead head the old ones, I saw that one of the Lupin plants, in the middle, was in a very bad condition, I've cut it back quite hard, but I don't know if that was the right thing to do. Then I saw all these tiny, white things on the soil and at the base of the plant that at first I thought were seeds. Then I noticed they were moving! The leaves on the other two Lupin plants are very sticky and I think they are starting to die back too.

Another plant which is growing very close to the Lupins also seems to have an infestation - which I think are Aphids. I've a attached another picture which shows they are greener and fatter than the other, but could the two be related?

All this has happened within abot 4 days.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos (I'm not much of a photographer either image ) but hopefully someone will be able to identify these little pests and advise me on how to get rid of them.

Thank you very much,

Sharon

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

can't see a thing in the pic but sounds like aphids. Greenfly, whitefly, blackfly. Squirt them off with water or rub them off. they're not very robust

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I agree with nutcutlet, they definitely sound like aphids.

Lupins are prone to a particularly disgusting one called , funnily, lupin aphids.

They are bigger than normal and grey in colour, and the blue tits aren't keen.

You can treat all aphids the same way, blast them off with water or squish them.

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

ping

• Doh, I knew it would be something straaightforward!   I thought aphid were just the round green ones. image

There's so many of these though and the leaves are so sticky,  I don't think I can rub them all off, and anyway quite a few of them are already just crawling around on the ground. I'll try blasting them off with water. Will the sick plants be able to take a heavy hosing? And is there any chance they will survive the aphids anyway.?

Sorry to be so thick, but I did warm you I wasn't much of a gardener - I'm learning though.

Thanks