London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
19 messages
10/11/2013 at 02:42
I have neighbour who's just cut down their hedge revelling several ugly out buildings. I have loads of hedging plants that need a good prune. Could any be used as cuttings to make a new hedge? Anything quick growing and free will do. I can replace in a few years with choice plants if I need to.
10/11/2013 at 06:36

Lots of traditional hedging plants strike easily from cuttings - however cupressus-type hedging plants are more difficult to root.  What have you got?

You need to bear in mind that any cuttings will take several years before they're large enough to screen buildings. 

10/11/2013 at 12:30

Hawthorn can be a bit reluctant from cuttings too - when I tried, success rate was only about 20%.  Let us know which hedging plants you already have and we'll be able to advise, as Dove said.

10/11/2013 at 16:28

yes, done it many times with,hazel,Hawthorn,lavender,Rosemary,and thing but laural.

10/11/2013 at 17:27

You're not really going to get instant hedging for free. The fastest growing things I'd recommend are willow and poplar. I wouldn't wish Cupressus types on anyone. Thankfully it's the ideal time to be buying bare root hedging. You might have to resort to some garden architecture to hide the out houses in the meantime. Some poles and white canvas (half moons cut into it to stop it being a sale) would certainly be instant and look a lot better than someone else's buildings. Failing that Russian vine on a trellis would do. Like the canvass; Poles and trellis up high so you can still walk underneath them, set forward from the fence until your more permanent hedge grows. They you get rid of the trellis and Russian vine.

Also, I'm not sure how big it is when it arrives but you can buy willow fence that is essentially willo cuttings fixed like fence posts. It then grows to form a living fence. Not cheap though. 

10/11/2013 at 17:45

If I were to go round all my neighbours and see what had seeded in their gardens, hawthorn, blackthorn, laurel, wayfaring tree, privet, hazel and many more. I could have a wellgrown hedge quite quickly just by digging them up. 

10/11/2013 at 17:54

You've got lucky neighbours Nut. I wish you lived next door to me.

10/11/2013 at 18:16

We are a good group of neighbours apart from the  farmer. A lot of swapping of this for that goes on. 

10/11/2013 at 21:13
Thanks for the help. I've got access to poplar, Hawthorn, ash, maple, hazel, willow forsythia. Not sure when to take cuttings and how. I'm thinking about now ish cut a load and push them into the ground. Surely some will take? Liking the Russian vine idea. Thanks Jim.
10/11/2013 at 21:21

Hazel, Willow and Forsythia are simple as - just put them in the ground and they root - would be suprised at less than 50% success rate.

10/11/2013 at 22:32

For a small hedge, box trimmings are so easy to strike. Strip off the lower leaves and put lots in a pot .. Leave for 3 months and they will root.

11/11/2013 at 07:20

But I don't think box cuttings are going to be screening outbuildings for a while 

11/11/2013 at 09:03

I don't think any will do the job quickly, except maybe willow which would give you a new set of problems in the future

11/11/2013 at 09:12

I regularly pass a "fedge" which has been made of cuttings of willows with different coloured stems, going through greenish, yellowish, orangeish etc.  

Looking here http://www.bluestem.ca/willows-pruning.htm reveals info about techniques and types of willow etc.

IIt's very effective after just a few years, but does require regular maintenance.  

More infor here http://www.kingsbarnfarm.co.uk/living_willow_hedge.html 

11/11/2013 at 10:36

I was at college when winter borders were very fashionable and I still love them. You can get some wonderfull coloured stems. Cornus Westonbirt has, in a good year, incredible autumn colour, the leaves are like rubies in the sun. When established it will grow five or six feet in a year and about 45 cm in the first year after planting. I bought Salix Britzensis two years ago but I neglected it and it hasn't established very well. You really have to keep the grass away from the base. I realy can't stress that enough. Dog wood isn't quite so badly affected, I've even lost some willow in the grass. It's probably still alive I've just litterally lost it, I can't remember where I planted it and it now gets mown. 

11/11/2013 at 10:57

If you drive the main road from Farnham/Guildford towards Winchester, is it the A31?, the central reservation is full of dogwoods of various hews. Drive with the sun behind them and WOW is an understatement, and so unexpected.

11/11/2013 at 12:50

Rowan is easy from seed. In 4 years all of  mine are over 8ft and thickening out now. Unless you buy an instant hedge then patience is the virtue. If trying for a thick screen hedge then pack the trees in a triangle shape as that gives a thicker appearance.

Box is easy to propagate but slow to grow. You will be dead before it reaches 6ft though!

11/11/2013 at 12:55

Hazel is pretty quick as well. Hawthorn a bit slow in the first couple of years but then it shoots away.

My box took 20 years to reach about 6 foot

11/11/2013 at 13:58

I have a cotoneaster hedge which is full of berries at the moment... but not for long says the army of blackbirds... easy to grow, fairly quick, easily trimmed and pretty.

email image
19 messages