Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Carrots

Im new to veg gardening and would like some methods on image carrots.  The last two years have not been worth the wait always very small and deformed.  Anyone got good methods and results that work thank you

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

What sort of soil do you have? Is it stony or heavy?  Carrots like quite a light soil with no stones. Have you had any insect damage below the ground?

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Ging2Ging2 Posts: 44

thank you for your reply ..Ive made raised beds and the soil is quite light but may still have stones.  Our normal soil varys in different parts of the garden but mostly clay.  I dont think there is insect damage just minute.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Good advice above. The other key is not to add any fresh fertiliser. A bed fertilised the season before is ideal.

• Ging2Ging2 Posts: 44

I had used fleece all the way through but  results were poor.  I will prepare bed as above and hopefully fingers crossed and legs we will have carrots worthy of the new veg beds .  Thank you all imageGreat talking to you all

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Ging, carrots also need plenty of sun.